Poor compost

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Poor compost
Author: Rman (Rman)
Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 1:08 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I do monitor my temps and I am happy with them most of the time. I am not overly concerned, I will see what this years looks like and then report back. My compost year end is about July 1st but I will shift that starting this year to bring it in line with planting season.

Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 5:36 pm

Are you monitoring the temperature of your pile? Proper temps are an indication that things are going well. Conversely, if the temperatures are low, then that indicates something is not optimal.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 6:27 pm

Sorry about the double post, the first one either took a little while to come up or I backed up and didn't refresh the page.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 6:26 pm

Thanks for the reply Joe but I just reread my first post and realized I was not clear, my inside pail cover material is sawdust, my outside compost pile cover material is hay/grass. I just watched one of your videos though and realized that your pile cover material is much thicker than what I use. I will start using a thicker covering and see what that does.

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 6:15 pm

Sorry I was not clear in my first post, inside pail cover material is sawdust, compost pile cover material is hay/grass.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 2:11 pm

Try using a cover material like straw, hay or weeds in the bin so you're not using too much sawdust.

http://humanurehandbook.com/videos.html

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 10:11 pm

It is a possibility but I think I have too much variety of cover material in this batch for that to happen. I need to consolidate my latest pile to get a fourth side on the frame so I will have a look at it. I am thinking that I may need to add more green material as I go along. Easy enough this time of year when I can pull out large handfulls right next to the pile. My wife just cleared an area of burdocks etc for a garden area so I already have a sizable green pile for adding.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, July 19, 2016 - 6:11 pm

All I can suggest is there was a sawdust from a tree such as Cyprus Pine.
Here in Tasmania, we have at least a couple of species which contain particularly persistent oils. For example Huon Pine (Lagarostrobos franklinii) and Celery Top Pine (Phyllocladus aspleniifolius). These timbers have been used in building and boat-building, where their anti-rot properties were of particular benefit. Their sawdust can last for years - just as sawdust. Any compostable material with the sawdust gets decomposed just fine and "disappears," yet the dust remains virtually unchanged.
Is it possible you have similar timbers there?

Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 8:13 am

I have done something wrong with my compost. Mostly hardwood sawdust of varying sources for cover material, kitchen scraps, decent temperatures and aged a year after final addition. Pile was 40 inches square and started out about 40 inches high and ended at about 30 inches high. The compost mostly looks like discoloured sawdust. Any suggestions about what I did wrong?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.