Need Grinder/Sifter to make cover mat...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Need Grinder/Sifter to make cover material
Author: Rman (Rman)
Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 2:41 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Just did a bit of online research to see what other people are using to build rotary machines and what I am seeing is bicycle rims with the spokes removed. This allows for a rib that has ready made holes in it to secure either lengthwise slats or screen or both as well as a guide for roller wheels and possible a drive belt if desired.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Thursday, March 02, 2017 - 1:03 pm

Certainly two choices, change the size of the material by grinding/cutting or sift out the smaller pieces to use and return the other to compost or huglekultur. Probably the easiest would be to compost the rough material you have and then use that compost for cover material. The second easiest is a mesh sieve on a wooden frame, dump in the raw, shake about and dump the larger pieces off to the side. Repeat. I have done this when necessary and it is time consuming and annoying. What I had envisioned was a screen roll joining the top half and bottom half of a pail with the bottom cut out of the bottom half as well. Put on a slight incline with some sort of rollers and dump raw material into the top while rotating. Usable comes out below the whole unit, waste comes out the end. Could be bicycle driven or cranked without much problem. Here is an example of the basic design which would lend itself to a simpler smaller sifter using either a pail or a barrel with scrap pipe axle and crank. If you are DIYer that doesn't weld then think gear clamps, wood scraps and screws. Most metal fabricated things can be mimicked in wood.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCHWo2YyY2M

Author: She_dog (She_dog)
Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:08 am

I want to add that my ground is not rocky, and the ground mulch contains virtually no rocks. But even if it did, the system could be made without blades. I picture a series of sifters with a hand crank so that the stuff tumbles,and large unusable items could be dumped out after a batch is tumbled and sifted.

Author: She_dog (She_dog)
Monday, January 30, 2017 - 11:05 am

I use Humanure toilets in my home. There is a product I need that no one has invented yet, and I'm sure many Humanure customers would use it also if someone would invent and produce it.

The problem I have is obtaining good cover material. I don't know where all you people get all this sawdust, but I don't have a source. I have to buy things and mix them together, which is expensive and a lot of work. But my property has tons of natural mulch on the ground that I would love to use for cover material if I could. It is not usable as is. What I need is a manual grinder/sifter that I could put it through. Leaves, weeds and ground mulch could all be converted to usable material if I had a way to grind and sift it.

There is no such product on the market. Maybe you could come up with one. Please, make it manual, not electrical or gas powered. Remember that some of us are working toward off-grid living.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.