The drought we are in.

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Global Warming and Other Environmental Threats: The drought we are in.
Author: david (Whistlepigwnc)
Sunday, December 23, 2007 - 9:49 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

We lived in Asheville,N.C.for 2 1/2yrs.hooked up to the umbilical cord of utilities companies,they just send you a bill.We now live outside Taos,off-grid..no utilities bill.The southeast is in deep doo-doo with no water.Even though we have a well-share,we've relied on catchement primarily.Water issues in New Mexico take on biblical proportions going back almost 5hundred years."Water is life"should probably be the state motto.Composting our solid waste saves between twenty to forty thousand gallons of water a year.Tell that to governor Sonny...seems more effective than prayer.More later,thanx...D

Author: Patrick (Pcinca)
Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 11:10 am

Larry, thanks for the water shortage news. Like you, I've always seen these type events as a potential springboard to a reality check. Watered lawns, flush toilets, car washes, etc.- all one-time water use activities are more and more coming under scrutiny for the wasteful bad habbits they are.

Back when low-volume flush toilets came into vogue, I thought this would hinder the "movement" towards waterless toilets, but in fact, it appears to be a way of weaning the public off water-wasting apparatices all together.

In So. California where water availability and distribution is becoming a critical mass situation, waterless toilets are becoming more tolerated than ever before and few people want to engage in an arguement against them. I don't bother hiding my H. toilet anymore and my neighbors at worst, just roll their eyes and leave me to my "eccentric" ways.

Some of them eat my veggies, but we don't go into detailed discussions about what I feed them unless I know they are receptive to the humanure concept.

I know that more and more people are becoming open to anything that saves water- if by dire neccessesity rather than concern or awareness of one's environmental impact footprint, but agin, these events of scarcity have their silver lining in opening people up to better ways of living on a fragile planet with limited resources.

Author: Larry Warnberg (Larry)
Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 9:24 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

If you follow the news about the drought in the SE you may know that water rationing is already happening in some Georgia and Tennessee communities. Atlanta may be next, if their prayers are not answered. Yep, praying for rain, led by the Governor. Water conservation is urged, but I've seen no mention of the water conserving benefits of dry flushless humanure toilets. When there is no more water to flush maybe salvation will be found in a bucket.
From the AP this morning:
Georgia turns to prayer to ease drought
By SHANNON McCAFFREY
Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA What to do when the rain won't come? If you're Georgia Gov. Sonny Perdue, you pray.

The governor will host a prayer service next week to ask for relief from the drought gripping the Southeast.

"The only solution is rain, and the only place we get that is from a higher power," Perdue spokesman Bert Brantley said on Wednesday.

Perdue's office has sent out invitations to leaders from several faiths for the service, set for Tuesday.

Perdue has several times mentioned the need for prayer - along with water conservation - as the state's drought crisis has worsened. Over the summer, he participated in day of prayer for agriculture at a gathering of the Georgia Farm Bureau in Macon, Ga.

Perdue, a Baptist, has enjoyed strong support from Georgia's Christian conservatives.

The Southeast has been suffering from an intense drought in recent months that has threatened supplies of drinking water. Georgia has been locked in a battle with Alabama and Florida over how much water should be sent downstream from the state's dwindling reservoirs.

Governors from the three states reached a temporary agreement after meeting with Bush administration officials in Washington.

The prayer service will be held outside the state Capitol on Tuesday. Unless, of course, it rains.

"Then we'll move it inside, thankfully," Brantley said.

Author: Larry Warnberg (Larry)
Tuesday, October 09, 2007 - 10:39 am

Tighten your belts, and forget about watering your lawn if you live in So. Cal. Water shortages are driving rationing and price hikes. Cuts for agriculture are predicted to be 30%. Maybe flushless toilets will get some attention as part of the solution. Check out this report: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003935002_calwater09.html

Author: Stephen
Friday, June 07, 2002 - 1:08 am

I am courous to here what others think of the drought that we are in here in northaest USA.
My unsientific thought is that mother earth is keeping the water underground where it can be cleansed from the impurities that we have added.
Why is the drought neccessary? When will it end?What is causing it? What can we do to help?

Author: Joe Jenkins
Friday, June 07, 2002 - 10:06 pm

We're having the opposite of a drought here in western PA. We had 3 inches of rain this week and it's been raining cats and dogs for about two months. The ground is totally full of water right now, which is nice, as we have had dangerously dry conditions for a couple of years.

Author: Stephen
Friday, June 07, 2002 - 11:07 pm

I judge the water conditions on my spring. Three years ago I was getting a flow of five gallons/minute, now it is down to under one. Sure it rained like hell last night but the overall water table has been very low.

Author: joe
Tuesday, June 11, 2002 - 9:49 pm

Same problem here in western PA until this spring. Our water table seems to be back up now (knock on wood), but it was dangerously low the past few years. We're breathing a sigh of relief right now. I hope it stays up.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.