Problem with increased phosphorous le...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Global Warming and Other Environmental Threats: Problem with increased phosphorous levels???
Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 1:17 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Here is a link that compares the NPK values of various fertilizers, including manures:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_VH019#TABLE_1

As you see, hog manure is not much different from other mammalian manures. And back to your original question, did he really think raw manure has less phosphorus than composted?

Author: Alan J Marshall (Ecointerest)
Friday, May 23, 2008 - 7:30 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Ben, my understanding is that it's the application of artificial fertilisers, including phosphates, which causes leaching into lakes and rivers.

When you compost properly, the Humus holds back those nutrients, and allows them to be gradually released back into the soil as the plants need them.

I would think composting hog manure would be the ideal thing, but open to correction if that is not right.

Author: Ben Neufeld (Ostamb)
Friday, May 23, 2008 - 6:17 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I was talking to a hog farmer today about the idea of composting pig manure as opposed to spreading it raw on fields, and the only problem he saw with it is that he said that it actually increases the amount of phosphorous levels in the soil and ultimately in the water, which causes a lot of problems in our lakes with algae blooms, etc. So, I was just wondering if anyone could comment on that.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.