It's Heating Up! Hottest July on Reco...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Global Warming and Other Environmental Threats: It's Heating Up! Hottest July on Record!
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Monday, August 13, 2012 - 5:30 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Test2, thank you for your feedback. I can understand your skepticism. We humanurists (is this a new word for the Dictionary?) are the little people on the bottom rung (no pun intended!) trying to do our bit for the environment.
I gain my optimism from my interest in technological advances which are available to read about on the World Wide Web. Here are a couple of URLs which you might wish to look through. They certainly give me a lot of excitement and hope.
http://faircompanies.com/news/view/algae-fuel-from-co2-o2-as-waste-dont-affect-food-prices/
http://www.imco.co.uk/cateringcasestudies/foodwasteato2
Concerning the one in London, back in 2000/2001, while visiting the Millennium Dome, as it was called then, I was enthralled by the engineering and conceptual vision which had gone into its construction. The mass media were very negative about it then and the public were following suit.
I felt that if the Dome was turned into an exhibition place for the "Pursuit of Excellence," that could have far reaching consequences.
The IMCO website looks like something in that direction.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 7:52 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Consider the wide spread use of air conditioner. It is projected that air conditioner use will be growing exponentionaly since India and China are "discovering" it. But there is a vicious cycle. As it gets hotter, more air conditioner is used. But that leads to more atmosphere heat being generated, and so more air conditioner is used. Repeat.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 7:44 pm

@ecointerest - the problem is way too few people are doing the right thing to make any difference. I try to do the right thing not because I think anything will change, but because I can not help but do the right thing.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 7:39 pm

@micros3 - are you for real. European and USA culture currently is and has been catastrophic for hundreds of years. Just ask all the extinct or near extinct species of animals and plants, not to mention North, Central and South American Indians as well as numerous other destroyed aboriginal peoples. By the way I am white.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 5:32 pm

Micros3, I share your anxiety up to a point. The more I listen to and watch the mass media and their sensationally extreme reporting of things, the more I must turn to looking at solutions.
Not solutions to "stop it happening," because that is beyond a little fella like me. But using innovation, inventiveness, developing "coping" skills, these are measures you and I and everyone can work on.
During and after World War 2 we kids grew up with parents who were particularly adept at "making do." Waste was minimal, because almost anything could be re-used, re-cycled, re-heated, worked into a simple left-overs dish, passed on to the kid brother or sister, etc., etc.
Humanure is one way of recycling our body chemicals and reducing the importation of plant fertilizers.
Lots of hope and cheer for the future don't you think?

Author: Micros3 (Micros3)
Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 12:05 am

With the weather we've had in Kansas the past 2 years, there's little doubt in my mind that there's something catastrophic in the near future. Whether it will be food supplies/prices, another dust-bowl, permanent climate change, or any combination of all 3, remains to be seen. However, I personally feel there is no path available to us to return to what we have known as "normal" for temperatures and precipitation, in either the near or long-term. I shudder when I think what my 2 yr. old daughter may experience in her lifetime.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Thursday, August 09, 2012 - 10:34 am

What Cornfields Show, Data Now Confirm: July Set Mark as U.S.'s Hottest Month

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/09/science/earth/july-was-hottest-month-ever-recorded-in-us.html?smid=pl-share

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.