Book "The End of Oil"

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Balance Point - Searching for a Spiritual Missing Link: Book "The End of Oil"
Author: Henry R. Trott (Shadetech)
Thursday, August 16, 2007 - 11:38 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I'm afraid the Russians would disagree with most of this discussion. They have developed a deep drilling method that gets the oil from where it is actually "developed".
Not that I wish to rely on oil and would greatly like to get away from it as much as possible because of its poluttion as well as many other detrimental affects, but we are not running out of oil. This is another SCARE Tactic from the oil cartels. They wish to drain US not their wells.
It seems that if they were to pump at a slower rate the wells would never "dry up". Of course we could stand to use it at a slower rate as well. Why are the oil cartels closing plants, refining as well as pumping, that are still producing profitably? I'm sure it is not because they wish to drive prices up or reap more profits, they already have more wealth than they coud possibly usa in 7 lifetimes.
Now this is just information that a lowly clerk that has no education in oil or anything else has found on the WWW. But may be worth looking at
Oil is produced deeper in the earth than origanally thought and is produced at a rather steady state. If we would work cooperatively with others and toward the betterment of all mankind instead of the few. we could produce oil,or pump it out of the earths resource bank, at a steady state for a much longer time than the cartel says. We still need to conserve our resources and live as if for the 7th generation, but we do not have to live in fear of running out of oil.

Author: Dan Sullivan (Danl)
Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 3:34 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Big push right now building ethanol plants. Sounds great, right? Farmers are getting more for a bushel of corn, which is good, but the rise in corn prices is affecting everything. Amazing what the geniuses made out of corn oil. So a trip to the store just went up 20%. Transporting corn to the ethanol plant requires huge amounts of diesel for the trains and trucks. Ethanol might replace 10% to 20% of gasoline. The whole thing seems to me like a well intentioned waste of refined oil. Maybe not so well intentioned, as the ethanol companies are sucking off the tax credit nipple.
That means we pay them to make this pipe dream through our taxes and then pay higher prices to add it to our fuel, etc.

Author: Anonymous
Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 1:07 pm

On national public radio a few days ago the author of the book Paul Roberts was interviewed. He was saying that the oil in the middle east is running out & the rest of the world doesn't have good supplies.

Author: admin
Monday, May 10, 2004 - 10:00 pm

Yes, that seems to be the consensus among experts in the earth sciences. We have reached the peak of oil production and the decline now awaits us, just in time for the highest level of oil gluttony.

Author: sureshb
Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 1:22 pm

Hi,

There are two biggest curse on man kind:

(1) Crude oil.
- Most of the economies in the world are
running on this drug.

(2) Flush Toilets (or open defecation by us).
- Hamanure or composting should solve this
problem.

As for the first problem, I feel biodiesel or
SVO (Straight Vegetable Oil) which can be used
to run diesel engines can solve the problem.
To know more about this visit
https://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html

The beaty of these solution is that they are
distributed solutions. Individuals/Small Local
groups that are concerned can solve these
problems..

Best Regards,
Suresh.

Author: Steven Coleman
Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 2:43 am

It's not so much that we don't have the technology to get by without fossil fuels, it's whether or not we will be able to continue manufacturing that technology in sufficient quantities when fossil fuels become unavailable.

Right now you can't use 100% biodiesel or SVO to manufacture the diesel engines required every year at today's numbers, to burn it.

Until we can MAKE a technology that doesn't require fossil fuels, WITH a technology that doesn't require fossil fuels it's my humble opinion we are simply moving in the right direction but haven't solved anything.

I think we will make it in time but if we don't I don't know which would be worse, being one of a few that took it upon themselves to convert early, or one of the millions that got caught holding an empty bag.

Author: south_nj
Friday, March 11, 2005 - 10:46 am

I thought that cars can be modified in a minor way to run with ethanol... a renewable resource and it would probably help farmers...

Author: Mike Gibbons
Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:34 pm

Using current farming techniques more calories are spent growing the vegetables than are in the vegetables. This is just going backwards. Low energy solutions (like sawdust toilets - although you could argue that sawdust is a high energy product) will be necessary.

Author: TCLynx
Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 10:52 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Alternative fuels can and do work in many if not most or all current gas and Diesel engines. Unfortunately the infrastructure is not in place to support wide scale change over. Also, in general most of the alternative fuels are still being mixed with a percentage of fossil fuel to help the engines start and warm up.

The ethanol is a good solution however it does take electricity to make and most electricity is still produced by fossil fuel either in the form of coal or oil.

Alternatives are still a good thing but we need to do more. We need to reduce our need for fuels.

We need to make our world friendly to walkers and biker again. I travel the country and am amazed at how many places there are where the roads for cars make it almost impossible to safely walk 300 yards from the hotel to the store. Or just simply the attitude of so many people, I'll ask where something is and be told "oh you can't walk there it's too far." After convincing them to just tell me what direction to go, I find it is only 4 blocks away and I walked it in 5 minutes.

They have no idea because they have never walked anywhere. They take the elevator up to use the electric stair climber machine at the gym.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.