C. elegans as an E.Coli predator

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Research: C. elegans as an E.Coli predator
Author: Jamie Henrichsen (Theolddog)
Saturday, May 19, 2007 - 10:46 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Sounds interesting but I'm sure you can get your C/N ratio close enough. Just do what the book says and you'll be fine. I started a pile last year using the simple instructions and its working fine. I've used peat moss as a cover, then switched to pine shavings and have tried cocoa shells and they all are composting fine right now. My high temperature so far is 154 F. Thats hot! But doo let us know how your experiment goes. Are you unable to make a pile outside?

Author: Iuval Clejan (Clejan)
Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 12:09 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I'm just toying with the idea of an alternative to thermophilic composting, in case I can't get a high enough carbon to nitrogen ratio (see my recent post in General Composting Issues thread). C. elegans is a free-living (non-parasitic) nematode which eats E.Coli (and other bacteria). I don't know how it does with pinworms and other parasites present in humanure (I can find out what is known though), but maybe other critters can take care of parasites which C.elegans is unable to take care of. Then there is the issue of releasing C.elegans into the local environment, instead of its native environment--we don't want another Kudzu or Privet situation.

Does anyone think this is a worthwhile project, or a waste of time?
-Iuval

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.