Urine and sawdust: how does it connect?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Research: Urine and sawdust: how does it connect?
Author: Md_heath (Md_heath)
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 1:04 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Ecointerest, thank you so very much for this lead. I went to the site, saw the photos, and am working on contacting Chris. Thanks, very much!

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 9:12 am

Mark, on the Mediterranean island of Ibiza, Spain, there is the eco-farm La Casita Verde, started by an Englishman, Chris Dews.
For several years he has had a two-chamber, sawdust toilet operating there, very successfully. You can see pictures on the Website at this address: https://www.casitaverde.com/photo-gallery.php
I notice 2 photos there, it's the white, igloo-like building. By the way, the walls are built of recycled drinks cans, encased beautifully in cement, then whitewashed.
The sawdust used is very fine. Faeces and urine are NOT separated. Each chamber is filled, then left to stand for a year. The resulting compost is excellent and ready for the garden.
You might wish to communicate with Chris, he's a very knowledgable man and very helpful.

Author: Md_heath (Md_heath)
Tuesday, September 21, 2010 - 8:03 am

I have been looking at the ecosan toilet system. i do not like the idea of separating urine and having to handle it as a separate item. If above-ground dual-chambered toilets were built, along the lines of the ecosan idea, but both urine and feces were used along with bio-mass cover material, would it take a year to compost? time to compost drives the needed size of the chambers. I am seeking a solution for public toilets and schools without having to transport buckets to a remote compost pile.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 11:15 am

Check the Humanure Handbook, 3rd edition, page 34 for a chart of nitrogen loss and carbon nitrogen ratio.

The book is available here: https://humanurehandbook.com/downloads/Humanure_Handbook_all.pdf

Author: Rowan (Rowan)
Thursday, November 19, 2009 - 8:51 am

Hi, I met a humanure sceptic recently, who claimed that urinating in a bucket of sawdust (or any other carbon rich material) does not sufficiently fix the nitrogen in the urine with the carbon elements of the sawdust, the result being a lot of evaporation of nitrogen in the form of ammonia and the formation of nitric acid which acidifies the soil. He had no scientific background or any literature to prove this, but I had nothing to disprove it either. Can anyone help me find evidence that all nitrogen in urine is effectively fixed to carbon and how does this process come about? Thanks,
Marc

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.