Fecal-borne diseases without obvious ...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Research: Fecal-borne diseases without obvious symptoms or transmission avenues
Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Tuesday, May 25, 2010 - 12:13 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Find yourself an introductory textbook in microbiology. Your public library probably has it. If not, go to your local college library. There is no absolute answer to your question, but typhoid is a well-known disease which can have obvious symptoms, or none. In general, most of the bugs in a healthy person's gut will not make another sick unless that person is immunocompromised.
Pathogens are pathogenic because they excrete nasty substances (toxins) which make healthy people sick: the Clostridia, for example, make powerful specific neurotoxins. Some other bacteria excrete more general kinds of toxins that cause fever, shock, and general weakness.
Benign microorganisms do not secrete these substances, hence, they do not make you sick.

Author: Lumenos (Lumenos)
Monday, May 24, 2010 - 3:00 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I was surprised to find that I could not find a list of fecal-borne diseases online, from a reliable source. Wikipedia has one but I had to add ascariasis so this may not be complete: https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Fecal-oral_route

I'm trying to determine which fecal-borne diseases do not have obvious symptoms. I know that parasitic worms may not have symptoms.

I'm trying to access the risks associated with lower temperature bioconversion of manure into poultry feed, using black soldier fly larvae, redworms, and duckweed. I am mainly considering human or poultry manure. If we ask trustworthy people producing the feces, we should be able to safely deduce what infections they could possibly have.

There must be some bacteria that is in a completely healthy person's manure, that would still make someone sick in high enough quantities. Strangely I have been unable to find this information also. I am mainly wondering what diseases a chicken could get from this but it would also be interesting to know how this would make people sick.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.