BPA and BPS in Compost?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Research: BPA and BPS in Compost?
Author: Davidc (Davidc)
Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 1:59 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Yes, interesting. I donít think it was concluded that the plants actually absorbed BPA, only that those exposed grew bigger? If the growing medium was biologically active, maybe bacteria degraded the stuff while offering additional benefits to the plant? According to Wikipedia, Pseudomonas fluorescens produces one of the two enzymes capable of BPA degradation. Further, it is found in soil and water, and has plant-growth promoting properties. Hmmm.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Friday, October 02, 2015 - 10:08 pm

Thanks for that link, Karen. I have spent a couple of hours looking through it and various others which came up as a result. From what I have read, it's clear where your concerns come from.
I cannot give any answers, it's a subject beyond my knowledge. One would like to think the natural ecosystems of composting would deal with those chemicals ok, but who knows?

Author: Karen (Karen)
Friday, October 02, 2015 - 12:21 pm

It is hard to avoid BPA and BPS products completely so I was wondering if anyone knows if the Compost process will eliminate BPA and BPS for I read in this the below forum that in a Student study that the Plants did absorb it (last post)
https://www.researchgate.net/post/If_BPA_or_BPS_is_leaching_from_plastic_containers_filled_with_soil_is_this_toxic_substance_absorbed_by_food_crops_growing_in_those_containers

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.