Any academic research on humanure?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Composting Research: Any academic research on humanure?
Author: Hoopy_frood (Hoopy_frood)
Saturday, September 24, 2016 - 10:41 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi Birch,

It all depends on what topics are of concern to you.

Jenkins references several studies in his book. Also a couple threads below (started by Jenkins, I believe) go into a tremendous level of details on composting exctreta containing pharmaceuticals - granted often with a livestock rather than human source.

But the only difference between species' excrement (as far as I am concerned) is: are pathogens that affect humans contained in the excrement? Do you have other concerns?

I have just moved to a thriving agricultural area. IF I can cultivate a robust thermophillic composting practice I'm planning on asking the local college as well as the extension office if they are interested in conduction studies of contaminant mitigation through composting. Tailored to local conditions and concerns, of course.

If you can't find what you want, why not do original research? ;) you can always use humanure on non-food crops.

Author: Birch_baltimore (Birch_baltimore)
Friday, August 05, 2016 - 11:56 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hello good compost community,
I was wondering if anyone knew of any past or ongoing academic research projects focusing on humanure composting? I have certainly found a lot of great anecdotal information and backyard experiments, but I have had trouble finding more "rigorous" studies beyond a few papers on sewage sludge composting at wastewater treatment facilities.

Any leads would be greatly appreciated,
Thank you,
Birch

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.