Kathleen Meyer - How to Shit in the W...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure in the News: Kathleen Meyer - How to Shit in the Woods - the Blog
Author: Joe (Joe)
Monday, January 16, 2012 - 1:51 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Poop Can Save the World? You Bet!

by Kathleen Meyer, January 2012

Happy 2012!

Someone has just handed me—as people always do, if it has anything to do with poo—an article entitled “Poop Will Solve All Our Problems.” Finally, we’re composting all the high-dollar campaign rants pouring forth from our radios and TVs? Probably not: the gist of the piece refers mostly to the benefits of elephant and panda turds, and pig poop. I’d be the first to cheer the presence of a pachyderm in Montana (imagine the size of its pile), but I haven’t spotted anything of such magnificent proportion in our river bottom for the past 12,000 years. The subject of useful shit, however, puts me in mind of Joe Jenkins’ Humanure Handbook: A Guide to Composting Human Manure, the teachings of which could, as huge regions of the globe dry up, save volumes of our current flushing water for drinking. Humanure is perfect for the garden. It’s not in the least bit stinky, not toxic nor pathogenic. Watch some of Jenkins’ many YOUTUBE video clips; he travels all over the world. During Haiti’s earthquake crisis, he headed down to help communities set up composting sites: while all the portable chemical toilets filled up, reeked, and bred maggots, the Jenkins’ way proved that fecal pollution and human waste is a thing of the past. (Link to Haiti clip.) Add Jenkins’ 3rd edition to your 2012 reading list—it’s light and enlightening reading. He also takes orders for his impeccably designed, indoor, household Loveable Loo. Or Loo kits.

Read more: https://www.kathleeninthewoods.net/Kathleen_Meyer_Bestselling_Author/Blog_-_Kathleen_Meyer_Bestselling_Author.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.