Dog and Cat poo okay?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Dog and Cat poo okay?
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, April 23, 2011 - 3:11 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Ptpls26, since my last post, I have noted several contributors to this forum saying they add doggy pooh directly to their Humanure toilet. If anyone has only one or two dogs, this would be the simpler way of dealing with it, instead of having two composting facilities going. The method I have described for the Doggy Dunny is virtually the same, in principle, as the Humanure system without aiming at thermo-composting it.

With regards to any sawdust that happens to be part-burnt, I wouldn't think that could pose any problem at all.

Good luck, let us know how it all works out for you.

Author: Ptpls26 (Ptpls26)
Friday, April 22, 2011 - 1:09 pm

I run a dog boarding kennel and have always wondered if I could compost it all. People have told me no way. But I am hopeful now.

There is a sawmill that burned down and left enormous mounds of sawdust. I don't know how deep the fire burned in these piles - would burned sawdust be just as effective?

Author: Alan J Marshall (Ecointerest)
Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 9:27 pm

Mireille Chazeaux (Mireille), I have experimented with using sawdust for pre-composting dog pooh before adding it to the regular worm farm. Composting worms do not usually like it raw and fresh, presumably the ammonia and other nasties are not good for them. My system is called a Doggy Dunny in Australian lingo...
You will need three medium sized garbage bins, i.e. not to big to lift when full. One of these you keep as your sawdust supply. The other two are for composting.
a. start off bin with 2-3inch layer of sawdust.
b. scoop up dog pooh and layer this into the bin. Cover with sawdust, as one would do with the Humanure toilet.
c. keep doing this until the first bin is full.
d. Then add half-watering can of water, and put the bin aside until second bin is full.
e. By this time, the first bin can be tipped into your regular composting bin, mixed with regular food/gardening materials. The worms love it.
The pre-composted material is not offensive, not messy, not usually smelly. If you find it getting to dry, simply add more water occasionally, or leave it open to the rain.
If you see a lot of fungal mycelium in the compost, I feel it's best to wear a face mask when emptying the bin.
Hope ths works for you, it has worked well for me.
Alan

Author: Mireille Chazeaux (Mireille)
Sunday, March 16, 2008 - 8:19 pm

Hello, I have three cats and one dog. I am very interested in composting their poop. Will cat litter be a problem if introduced to the mix? Even, if just stuck to the crap? Also, what is the best method of composting pet crap? What do you cover it with to keep the dog from eating it? Just a few unanswered questions? Thanks

Author: Amy-Sunshine
Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 8:22 pm

What about composting dog and cat wastes? I use wood shavings as my cat's litter (they work great). Any pathogen concerns here? Thanks...

I'm so excited. I just completed my sawdust toilet two days ago, and I feel so empowered and great!! I'm fearless, now. If I can compost my humanure, I can do anything! Watch out world! :) Joe, thanks for all your work.

Author: joe
Thursday, June 13, 2002 - 12:13 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

There *are* pathogens associated with dog and cat manures (diseases and parasites). I recommend a separate, smaller, compost bin, maybe even one of those plastic garbage-can ones you can buy, and a longer retention time (2 years?). Then use the finished compost for horticultural purposes (not in your food garden) when composting dog and cat shit.

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 3:31 pm

What makes the pathogens in pet waste any different than the ones in humanure? Isn't it better to put it into the big pile with the humanure where it will be more likely to reach the proper temp?

Author: John Heckham
Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:12 pm

Has anyone tried the dog/cat poo composting yet?

Two weeks ago, I started a pile for my two dogs which is filling up fast! (As a side note, can someone explain how humans eat 3x a day and crap once, but yet my dogs eat 1x a day and crap 3x?!?!? Food for thought!!)

My aim is to just spread it around the bushes or trees. I just can no longer bring myself to pick it up in plastic bags and toss it, telling myself that it somehow disappears magically. I hope this works out. Has anyone had experience with separate pet poo composting?

BTW, I for proper moisture, I have been adding my own urine.

Author: Rangdrol
Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 2:56 pm

We composted our dog droppings for years in the city. Worked fine for us. Grows good Lilac.

Dogs have a very much smaller gut to run low quality feed thru. We have a huge gut and run higher quality feed thru.

Some seem to get a great deal more gut than others by running stuff that isnt even feed thru ;)

That is not to say giving our best friends red meat 3 times a day will reduce the droppings. The droppings represent all the bio-mass the animal could not break down and absorb. High quality feed gets used up as opposed to excreted when the animal converts it to flesh and energy.
We are better designed to absorb the contents of our feed and we eat a lot of feed that is pre-broken down.

We and our beasts made it here by being able to eat most anything and get some food out of it. Observe the Twinkie and soda as goverment certified foods. In an "ideal" food cycle there would be no droppings at all, just bio-gas, urine and heat.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.