Humanure composting in an apartment ...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Humanure composting in an apartment complex?
Author: Pamela Pollock
Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 4:04 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I mistakenly attached this message to another topic as I am new to message board use. So I will retype my message from yesterday here. I am in the process of reading Humanure Handbook right now and am so excited to read it! We go to Burningman (an art event in the Nevada desert) every year for the last 3 years and have been composting our own poop and bringing it home in a 5 gal. bucket. Our urine goes in a separate container and gets dumped in their portolets. I have been adding worms and more compostables from the kitchen and more peat moss upon return home. I leave it all in the bucket for 6 months to a year and then put it around the shrubbery.
We manage an apartment complex in Mill Valley,CA. I would love to rip out our toilet, and put in a sawdust toilet or peat toilet. Any suggestions on how to compost all of our poop when we are apartment dwellers? How about big garbage cans on the patio? ( I currently compost all of our kitchen scraps, 2-3 lbs. daily in two worms bins and one big garbage can on the patio.) Could I add our poop to that? I think if I added the urine it would get too wet and run out of the holes in the bottom of the garbage can. HELP! I feel so guilty now every time I use our flush toilet! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Author: stephen
Saturday, September 28, 2002 - 10:12 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

You could add a humanure compost bin to your home. I would keep your vermiculture bin to take care of your kitchen scraps and add an additional humanure bin for yourself and company.
Make sure to keep covered well with good material to keep the smell to a minimum. When that is thermophilicly cured you can add it to your worm bin for further decomposition.

Author: admin
Sunday, September 29, 2002 - 12:09 am

Does the apartment complex have any outdoor space? Could you put a compost bin outside on the ground?

Author: Pamela Pollock
Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 5:01 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

How big of a bin would I need to make sure it gets hot enough to decompose all ingredients in the pile? Right now I have two 30 gal plastic garbage cans with a lot of 1/2" holes drilled all over, for air, to do the kitchen composting.

I'm not sure I could put a bin on the ground, as the Board of Directors for the complex frown on people (even though we are the managers) having personal property around on the grounds....I will have to look into that. I don't want to get anyone upset with me for composting my poop on "their" property.

I appreciate the feedback and will check back to see if more ideas will surface.

Author: Joe W
Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 5:07 am

Another guy was talking on here about how he composts in large containers indoors by pumping air to the bottom of the container, so that it has to rise back through the compost to escape. It sounded brilliant, you might want to read until you find that thread.

Author: DaOptimist
Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 12:04 pm

It's in the "Cover Materials" thread.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.