Composting Vacuum Cleaner Bag Contents

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Composting Vacuum Cleaner Bag Contents
Author: derrik
Tuesday, October 01, 2002 - 11:02 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I have read so many different things on this topic. What does this group say? Can you compost the contents of a vacuum cleaner bag? Some say it's ok if you have natural fiber carpets, but not if you don't. Is a little bit of synthetic fiber that much of a problem? And besides that, how often do you empty your vacuum cleaner bag anyway? It would be a very small portion of the compost bin.

Author: Stephen
Friday, October 04, 2002 - 12:09 am

Carpet contains formaldahyde, and the little bit of usefull organic materials in your bag wouldn't amount to much.
I would not put it in my bin for future garden use anyhow. I usually throw mine down in the weeds.

Author: Heather
Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 1:28 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I have hard wood and linoleum floors + a shedding dog and 2 sheddding people. I typically DO compost the contents of the sweeper bag (no carpet fluff- mostly dust (skin flakes) and hair).
It would probably be OK also if you had older wool carpets.

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 4:00 pm

I suppose it might depend on the type and age of the carpets I had. I hate the smell of new synthetic carpet and new carpet tends to shed alot.
My mom has an old Rainbow vacume that uses a water trap instead of a bag and it has to be dumped outside anyway. I would definitely dump that one into the compost since a large portion of the contents is dog and people hair along with tracked in sand and food particles from the dining room carpet.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.