Fly Control

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Fly Control
Author: Ted Webb
Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 7:20 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

My wife and I have just purchased a home where commercial composting toilets were installed (Nature Loo brand). Frankly we don't know squat (pun intended) about how to manage these things. We have a fly problem and the manufacture hasn't been of much help.

In the literature accomanying the composting toilets, nothing is said regarding checking the temperature or covering the pile after each use.

What can we do to: 1. Eradicate and control the flies (maybe cover with wood shavings or saw dust after each use)? 2. Be assured that correct composting is taking place?

Thanks,

Ted Webb
Buaraba Creek
Queensland, Australia

Author: admin
Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 10:50 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Cover the contents of the toilet at all times with a clean layer of raw sawdust (sawdust from logs, if possible -- not sawdust from kiln-dried lumber). You can also use leaves, grass clippings, kiln-dried sawdust, etc., but the more air impermeable (and therefor fly impermeable) the cover material is, the better (up to a point -- you don't want it to be airtight). Raw sawdust works well. Peat moss also works. Make sure everything is covered,including urine. Liberal use of a clean cover material will eliminate both flies and odors.

Author: jrt
Monday, April 28, 2003 - 10:07 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Joe,

I use hay for my compost pile. In checking on it
today, I noticed that there seem to be insects on it, including some small flies (tiny like fruit flies), small house flies, and ants. The only smell I notice is of the hay... is this ok? or should I use more cover material?? I haven't seen any maggots on the pile.

I don't have any problem with the sawdust toilet in the house...

jrt

Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 12:56 pm

The compost pile should be crawling with insects of all sorts, but there should be no flies flying over the top of the pile. If so, add cover material.

Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 9:11 pm

I have always used sawdust in my composting tiolet but the problem with flies happens where the material is breaking down so the sawdust is breaking down too, and it is in an area that is not easily accessible unless a spanner is used. I've tried putting plugs in that I remove to squirt derris dust through but to no avail. The problem happens if there is a build up of urine, and the design of my tiolet cannot combat the urine problem easily.
Frida.

Thursday, September 23, 2004 - 10:52 am

Can you add clean cover material? That seems to deter flies.

Author: Anonymous
Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 2:50 pm

Hi,

I am reading your book "The Humanure Handbook" & participated in a workshop you did at the Midwest Renewable Energy Fair at Amherst WI several years ago. Good Works!

I have been using my Sun-Mar composting toilet for about 8 years. I have a vent fan installed in the vent pipe... in lieu of the one in the toilet. I do not use the interior heater element (plan was to get a solar system working, hasn't yet happened). Also, I generally do not urinate in the toilet... I am the sole user (at the moment).

To the problem, I cover, with reverence, after each usage... with a peat & wood chip mixture... but in the past few years, some kind of small flies have started breeding & hang out in the toilet... as well as other places... like in the windows... at my computer screen... (i.e., toward light) but also, IN MY FACE... & sometimes in my glass of water (etc.)! Not a pleasant development. Fly paper (the sticky stuff) helps a certain amount... but seems not to get to the root of the problem... as they still breed, especially in warmer weather. Any non toxic kind of ideas?
Thanks.

Henry

Author: Stephen
Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 9:33 pm

Fly swatter and find out what is attracting them.

Author: Joe Jenkins
Monday, January 16, 2006 - 10:41 am

Don't use wood chips - they don't compost.

Also, I never did a workshop at the Midwest Energy Fair.

Author: Ron Mazerolle
Saturday, January 21, 2006 - 5:22 pm

Contact your Sun-Mar dealer. The flies could develope if there was fly larva in the peat-wood chip mixture. Also you should add at least some urine in your system because it was designed to work that way. An insectide added to your toilet at a much stronger strength than recomended will be needed. Drop an E-mail to Sun-Mar and Angela will be happy to assist you. By the way Joe wood chips will compost if mixed properly but Sun-Mar now uses a peat and hempt stock mixture for the bulking material. If you do not use the heater element you should have bought the non-electric model. The heating element is to speed up evaporation of excess liquid. When you buy a product like this you should follow the manfactureers instructions if you want trouble free operation.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.