Compost bin filling too fast!!!!!!

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Compost bin filling too fast!!!!!!
Author: Jude Toler
Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 1:38 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I found the Humanure Handbook compulsive reading- so much so, that my husband and I decided to build a sawdust toilet and disconnect the septic.(We live in the country). We built the 3 chamber compost bin from free pallets and have been adding a bucket to the first bin every other day (we are a family of 5). We seem to be filling the first chamber VERY quickly!!!!!!!!! We make a small depression in the top , put in the bucketful and cover with hay or straw. The compost is definately heating up because on frosty mornings there is a big damp circle on top, surrounded by frost. The thing is, the bucket contents are concentrated in the middle of the heap, should they be spread around a bit before adding cover material? and should there be cover material visible on top of the previous bucketful as you make your depression to add the new one? This probably sounds a bit inane, but at this rate we'll be going through about six chambers a year!!!! (We obviously have a lot of fiber in our diet!!!). Would appreciate some guidance as we much prefer Joe's Toilet. thanks

Author: Joe Jenkins
Wednesday, February 12, 2003 - 4:23 pm

First, the pile will shrink, especially in the spring, summer, and fall (not so much in the winter). It may look like it's filling up fast, but wait and you will see. It doesn't hurt to spread the center of the pile out a bit to flatten it before adding cover material. It doesn't matter too much if there is cover material layered between deposits. Relax and use common sense and you will have good luck.

Author: Stephen
Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 9:09 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Yea like Joes said, Once the pile reaches a certain mass the decomposition really gets started.
It seems to take no time at all to get it 3/4's full, but after that it takes many months for it to completely fill.
We're also a family of five and have been humanure composting for four years now.

Author: Joe W.
Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 5:10 am

Theoretically the more shit you add, the faster it will shrink.

Author: admin
Friday, September 16, 2005 - 4:11 pm

I have added a page showing my compost bins in action at https://jenkinspublishing.com/process.html, including the dumping of the bucket.

I have also posted on the web instructions for use of a humanure toilet at https://jenkinspublishing.com/toilet_instructions.html, which can be downloaded, printed, and put up on your bathroom wall for those people who use the toilet and don't know about humanure.

Joe Jenkins

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:53 pm

In the initial post it noted that the 3 chamber bins were built of pallets. Pallet bins, depending on the size of the pallets of course, can be rather small. For a family of 5 you may want larger bins. I think Joseph says his are 4-5 feet to a side. Pallets are often only about 3 feet.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.