Smaller system

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Smaller system
Author: shellyjo
Friday, February 14, 2003 - 3:45 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hello out there. I am a one person household with limited space outdoors. I tried a larger (4 by 4 by 4) bin but didn't seem to be able to fill it up enough, fast enough to create the heat required to get things cooking at the right temps. I am wondering if a 3 by system would be enough volume to hold and increase heat? Anyone with experience in this smaller type of system?

Author: Stephen
Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 11:47 am

Yea a 3 by would work fine but if you have a 4 by built allready I would suggest keeping it.
To help fill it you have to look around on your travels for material.You shouldn't, but may be suprised at all the "trash" that can be added to your pile. Some examples are leaves and grass clippings from the neighborhood, coffee grounds from your local Starbucks,if ya got one. If you could have someone donate wasted food would be great.
I would like to start another bin just for these examples sinse my family of 5 add to a 3 by bin.

Author: shellyjo
Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:14 pm

space is part of the issue, thus the smaller bin. i do work at a school so i imagine i could round up more food scraps than i could manage to compost. thanks

Author: joe w
Sunday, June 01, 2003 - 5:27 am

food scraps are more valuable that gold!
I suggest you jump on whatever opportunity you think you may have.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.