Newspaper/cardboard in compost

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Newspaper/cardboard in compost
Author: Giovanni
Monday, June 02, 2003 - 11:25 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I've seen shredded newsprint/ondulated cardboard/packing cartons mentioned as useful additions to compost in many places, including The Humanure Handbook.

But I've also seen conflicting statements, such as:
- Inks are toxic (heavy metals etc.), stay away from printed paper
- Modern printing inks are almost always non-toxic and biodegradable
- Black is safe, avoid colors

Does anyone have the final word?
And what about non-printed paper/cartons?

Author: Jami
Monday, August 02, 2004 - 10:57 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

No 'final' word, but maybe some help.

I called my local newspaper and spoke with the gentleman in charge of purchasing the ink. He told me all his ink was soy, even the color ink. And that he believed they used natural sources for the color in the ink too.

So I have placed newspaper on my flowers, but not in my compost. And I burn my junk mail, because I cannot imagine junk mailers would pay $ or give a hoot about the quality of their inks.

To sum up - I am selective in how I use such waste papers... until some law with fines for using the 'cheep' kind of inks comes into play the almighty dollar will keep these waste products 'un-safe' by all Green standards.

Good Luck!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.