Adding grease to mixture makes the co...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Adding grease to mixture makes the compost pile really hot! Good?
Author: Rob Krueger
Wednesday, July 09, 2003 - 2:25 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I run my diesel vehicle on recycled vegetable oils from a local resturant; it is all non-hydrogenated oil. I have been mixing the dregs of my oil vegetable oil, which contains bits of food,etc, with our humanure. We don't put any diesel in our pile of course. Our pile gets very hot, about 150, and stays that way for weeks/months. I was wondering if this is too hot a temperature and if it would be better not to use the grease in the pile.
Thanks, Rob (We have been humanure composting now for 3 years and love it!)

Author: admin
Monday, July 14, 2003 - 11:38 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

The temperature would only be too hot if it was not being maintained over a period of time. If it's too hot it will kill itself off and the pile can then rapidly cool. If the temperatures are being maintained, then that is good. Keep it up.

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 4:56 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Wow, perhaps you could share some of the grease with friends who have trouble getting their compost to heat up.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.