Thermometers

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Thermometers
Author: Shae
Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 11:54 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi,

I searched my humanure book and the archives for some information on which kind of thermometer to get, but came up empty. The humanure book mentions using an 8" and 20", but are both necessary? Also, what temperature range do I need? And should I get a thermometer with a glass or plastic over the dial? Any other tips on buying composting thermometers?

Shae

Author: Joe Jenkins
Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 12:40 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Thermometer info is in the 2nd ed. of Humanure on page 145. A 20" is sufficient. Contact reotemp at 800-648-7737 or visit https://www.reotemp.com/BackyardCompostingPage.html

Author: Dale
Friday, April 30, 2004 - 12:05 am

I emailed reotemp about which part of the metal rod reads the temperature. They said that it is the bottom 2 or 3 inches where a metal coil is located.

That's good information, since I didn't know how the device actually measured the temperature.

Dale

Author: Lynne Rosner
Friday, April 01, 2005 - 6:21 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

In looking on the reotemp website they have thermometers ranging from 24 to 300 dollars. They also have a moisture meter which sounded interesting. The 24 dollar thermometer was for the backyard composter and the other ones were geared toward the commercial enduser as far as I could tell. Is there a specific model that you prefer?

Author: Joe Jenkins
Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:24 am

Buy a 20" backyard thermometer.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.