Compost and bears

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Compost and bears
Author: Anonymous
Monday, January 05, 2004 - 9:20 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hello, This was our first weekend with guests using our new sawdust toilet at our weekend cottage. It went quite well although I had to empty the bucket three times! My husband says it was my bran muffins and mango juice served with breakfast each day. My family was quite receptive to the Humanure method, but the subject of bears in the compost did come up. We had some leftover shrimp which I threw in the compost pile, covering well with straw. It is winter now, so bears are not a concern, but come spring I am wondering if the compost will attract them. We are in an area with many black bears, but they are pretty wild and we have left coolers outside and have never had any problems in the past in this area of northern NH. Does anyone have any comments and/or experience with composting in bear country. I did hear a rumor that human urine in the pile will help to discourage bears. We, of course, are putting buckets of humaan waste in the pile, so perhaps this will discourage the bears?.....

Author: Herb_Wis.
Monday, January 05, 2004 - 11:34 am

I live in black bear country and I have seen bears in my yard a few times over the years. Once a bear found a can of auto grease and ate the grease. Another time one knocked over a bucket of clay and messed around with it before deciding it wasn't edible. I don't leave garbage lying around for that reason. Bears are also notorious for going after humming bird feeders.

That said, I have been using my compost toilet system for over a year now and have had no animal trouble. Bears or otherwise. (Knock on wood). So far, it does NOT seem to attract bears at all.

Author: Joe Jenkins
Monday, January 05, 2004 - 12:32 pm

Regarding having to empty the bucket three times in one weekend, we use a four bucket system and all four are filled before they are emptied, usually. That means there in only one trip to the compost pile a week for us (actually two trips, with two buckets each time, but done all at the same time). Just keep the full buckets, with lids, pushed off into a corner of the toilet room until it's time to empty them. Note: you will need four buckets that are exactly the same so that they all fit into your toilet compartment.

Author: DaronPage
Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 8:29 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I have about five or six buckets and I keep them out by the compost pile to air out, I usually empty two at a time and take two back in that have been aired and sunned. Sometimes I get lazy and the buckets stockpile. On occasion I have bought another new bucket while at wally-world because I new that I would not have time to empty one out.

Author: Herb_Wis
Wednesday, January 07, 2004 - 10:56 am

PS: Before I fenced in my garden, I used to place human urine around the perimeter and that kept deer away fairly well. So while bears like human trash and garbage, they probably aren't attracted to humanure. Of course you might find an occasional bear who does like it just like there are sh*t eating dogs.....

Author: Steve Coleman
Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:29 am

If you live near a grocery store that has a bakery don't waste money on buckets.

Icing and pie filling arrives in buckets of various sizes and is nothing other than something for them to dispose of.

Ask the bakery manager about it, somedays they will use more than others.

A quick trip to the local car wash and a few seconds with a power wand cleans them out quite nicely.

You can just fill them with water and leave overnight before scrubbing them out by hand but then you have water to dump which will attract, ants, bees, wasps or anything else that likes sugar.

Author: earthmother
Friday, June 04, 2004 - 9:56 am

We live in an area where bears are commonly seen eating from apple trees ( Ottawa Valley, Ontario Canada). We have our compost/humanure bin located approximately 20' from our back door. We have had no issues. Appearantly bears love apple trees, berry bushes and hummingbird feeders. they do not appear to like humanure mixed with kitchen scraps, although we have to rig up a system to keep our dog out of the pile (large dopey sheepdog loves to eat shit covered compost!).

In Ontario we have a lot of "Chip Trucks". They use peanut oil to fry their fries. They give away buckets that are all the same size.

J

Author: Anonymous
Friday, March 24, 2006 - 3:36 pm

Herb Wiz-

Do you put food scraps in your pile?

Author: Herb
Monday, March 27, 2006 - 10:28 am

>By Anonymous on Friday, March 24, 2006 - 02:36 pm:

>Herb Wiz-

>Do you put food scraps in your pile?

I put vegetable food scraps into the pile, but I don't have many animal-based food scraps to bother with. Those I give to the birds. If I'm worried that bears will be around, I throw the scraps up on the flat roof of a building out of their reach.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.