Compost Bin Location

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Compost Bin Location
Author: Eric in Japan
Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 4:29 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

My wife and I recently bought a quarter acre lot here in Central Japan. The lot is only about 20 meters wide, 50 meters or so long, and gently sloping to the south. The house will be at the top of the lot, with our greywater wetland running down. But I was wondering where I should put the compost bins for the sawdust toilet? Should they be next to the house, or down near the gardens at the bottom of the property? Where do you put your bins? How far from the house? Eric in Japan

Author: admin
Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 10:48 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Down near the garden would be my suggestion. Our humanure compost bins are about 100 feet from the house on the other side of the garden, although we have also erected humanure compost bins about 30' from the house on the edge of the garden and they were fine there too.

Joe Jenkins

Author: Larry
Monday, May 17, 2004 - 11:34 am

Siting the compost bins is an important consideration. I agree with Joe that proximity to the eventual use area is good. On a large lot there may be a number of options. But on a small lot choices may be limited. It is good to keep a little distance from neighbors, or use a suitable screen of fencing or plants. Some distance from surface water and groundwater is desirable. Each yard will present unique challenges for siting.
Larry

Author: earthmother
Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:00 am

Our compost bin is located on the southern portion of our 1 acre lot. It is approximately 20' from our back door. We located it there because it is closest to the exit that we use for emptying the compost. Although it is close to our house, it is also an easy wheelbarrel distance from our gardens. The other consideration is keeping it slightly out of view. This location cannot be seen from the raod, or by guests who would usually use our front entrance. It is has a small amount of tree/bush cover and a clear path directly from our steps. It has already began to heat up and it is only approximately 2 months since we began using it.

J

Author: Herb
Friday, June 04, 2004 - 11:17 am

I also located my compost bins as close as possible to my outhouse. I wanted to keep the distance as short as possible when I have to trudge thru winter snow or am feeling lazy.

Author: earthmother
Friday, June 04, 2004 - 11:33 am

Just thought that I would add that our compost pile has NO smell whatsoever! NONE! We wer a little concerned with this issue. Not because we did not beleive what Joseph Jenkins said about if being stink free. We were just concerned we would botch something and not get the thermophalic thing going on for us. When done properly, I will personally verify that there is no stink to the sawdust toilet or to the compost bin, so positioning it relatively close to your residence, or a neighbouring proeprty is not an issue (at least not because of stink). We are lucky not to have neighbours for about 0.5 kms so neighbours are not a concern. We are about to do some major research on the legalities of a sawdust bucket system in Ontario. We have some of the strictest bylaw, regulations, building codes, etc. so it should be interesting:-)

J

Author: admin
Friday, June 04, 2004 - 1:29 pm

When researching the laws, look into those that regulate back-yard composting (if any), because that's what you're doing (you're doing backyard composting). It's not sewage disposal, garbage disposal or plumbing or anything like that. If you look into *those* laws you may become overwhelmed and confused. A sawdust toilet system is a back-yard composting system that collects organic materials that are typically overlooked. The concept and practice is rather simple and should not be complicated by people's ideas that humanure is only a waste material and can only be discarded (which is what many bureaucrats seem to believe). Obviously, that's not true and we're proving it.

Joe Jenkins

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 4:48 pm

Too True.
The only times you need be worried about the legality of composting is if; you are composting a very large amount of material (like a 10 ft tall pile or something) in which case it might be concidered a comercial operation in some locations, or if someone complains of a nusance due to odor or something. For that, keep it well covered and there should be no complaints.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.