Maggots in the pile

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Maggots in the pile
Author: JamesHarrison
Monday, May 24, 2004 - 12:52 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi there,

We've been humanuring for four or five months now and have a few separate piles. We noticed the other day that our first pile has some maggots on the top. I'm reasonably sure that this is a problem, one I don't want to develop in the other piles. What can we do about this?

Author: The Trouts
Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 12:49 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Could be that you are lucky enough to have Black Soldier Fly larva working your pile for you.

Check out this link:

https://nespal.cpes.peachnet.edu/sustain/fly.asp

Author: admin
Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 3:43 pm

Add more cover material. That keeps house flys away.

Author: Larry
Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 11:46 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Black Soldier Fly larvae for manure management is a new concept to me. Thanks to the Trouts for suggesting the link to this fascinating information. I farm oysters in Washington State, so I understand the connection between manures and harmful algae blooms in estuaries. Using beneficial insects to consume manure in a controlled environment makes a lot of sense, especially when the larvae can be harvested as a source of protein for animal/fish feed.

Author: earthmother
Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:07 am

We have a relatively new pile - 2 months - and have had no issue with maggots. In our toilet, we use two full cups of sawdust for yellow deposits and one full cup for the brown deposits:-) In the outdoor compost pile we use a 1/2 flake to a full flake of straw for each deposit. We add our kitchen scraps and our humanure to the pile at the same time and use our dish water (grey water collected in a bucket under our sink) to clean the buckets. Biodegradable unscented dish soap of course (Simply Clean Dish Detergent). We have had absolutely no issues with maggots, flies, or any pests (other then our sheep dog).

J

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.