Leading folks in the right suggestion

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Leading folks in the right suggestion
Author: MJ Raichyk (Cighe)
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:56 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

There's a much better way to do greywater for flushing that doesn't have a storage problem. We got a small footpump, ran one hose up over the vanity's edge and into the washbasin of the sink, ran the other hose into the toilet tank (had to build a little frame to hold the tanklid so the hose would fit nicely into the tank). We just shut the water supply to the tank off using the valve under the tank. After you flush, you fill the little wash basin (about 2 gallons for our tank) as you wash up your hands, then pump that water -- just a couple pumps and the siphon action carries the rest into the tank so you're ready next time.

There's a picture of the pump as it's installed for use if you look under 'Waste Utilization' at our website www.windberm-designing.biz

There is a more expensive solution similar to this one that's "idiot-proof" and keeps track of how much is in the tank, diverts extra down the drain when the tank's full, and other things for anyone who's too absent minded.

We don't sell either, but I think the best price/source online in the US for buying this little "whale pump" (or gusher galley pump) is a marine retailer up in the northeast US. We got one of ours in Canada and one before that in Georgia, but I think they've moved not long ago. I think I remember the price was about $70, and we figure it's easy to make that payback in less water usage depending on your water rates. One plumber we knew saved so much water when he started using greywater for flushing that the water company thought he was cheating on his meter and sent a crew to check on his meter. The calculations would demonstrate why especially since his was an older house that still had the old 5 gal flush toilets and his system was more complex and required county health dept approval , unlike this simple footpump yet it saves the same amount of water for flushing.

Author: Tamara Moxham
Friday, June 11, 2004 - 10:29 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I just finished the Humanure Handbook, and I'd love to follow its principles. Unfortunately in downtown Seattle in an apartment it ain't happening yet. This plus my husband won't set up a "litterbox". Ugh. I was thinking how the public could be eased into the right direction, and I thought of how Joseph says woodchips keep the compost too dry. How about setting up gray water flush toilets that empty into a compost area that is then covered, buffered with material that will keep everything "too dry" in other instances?

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 4:33 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

greywater flushing may not be as simple as all that. Storage of grey water tends to let it go septic.

Also, it is not just that the wood chips let compost get too dry. They also don't break down fast enough to provide the right mix of materials for good composting.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.