Spreading that word

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Spreading that word
Author: listenin
Monday, July 05, 2004 - 12:17 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Ok, yíall, hereís the problem.

Wanting to do an entry to Wikipedia on Humanure, I just donít know how to proceed.

Wikipedia is a free, online encyclopedia that has been in the works for Ö about 3 years. Anyone can contribute and anyone can edit, but be warned that there are some sharp minds building that site.

Though I back 100% the idea of recycling humanure as opposed to the epidemic practice of rampant waste of our only home Earth, Iím not greatly versed in the subject, so rather than make a fool of myself I want to offer to whomever is more experienced with a rap on the pros and cons the opportunity to do an initial entry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

Bla bla bla, it may seem daunting, but polishing that encyclopedia entry should be fun.

I intent to write to the webmasters of Wikipedia as soon as this is posted asking pretty much the same as I have of you, as below.

= = = = = = =

Ok, hereís the dilemma: How do I/we do an entry for ďHumanureĒ.

A critically important concept, I do believe, as an understanding of the waste, negligence and abuse of our only home Earth, as set forth by Joseph Jenkins in The Humanure Handbook, will likely impart, the word Humanure is a noun and as such has a limited potential for a descriptive of what the focus entails.

https://www.weblife.org/humanure/default.html

Me, Iím not much of a word monger, certainly not when Iím out of my league ( I try, anyways )so Iím asking for help.

listenin

Author: admin
Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 10:13 am

"humanure" = human manure that is recycled via composting for agricultural purposes

Tuesday, July 06, 2004 - 8:05 pm

Well, yeah, ok. I'll see if I can do that initial entry; as a long time ( geez, I'm gettin' old !) both organic gardener and environmental activist I was hoping for more in depth + detail...

Picking and choosing between to many angles/aproaches to the idea is, I guess, where I get bogged down...

They're probably gonna want some reference(s) and cross references. Wikipedia is cris-crossed with multiple internal links in virtually every entry.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll do an addition/edition of "composting"...

Oh, yeah, I did that request at their "Village Pump" yesterday, too. Lemme see what if any response says. Hope to get back at you soon ...

Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 10:37 pm

Heh. I entered as an ... entry just what you suggested, admin., just a few minutes after my last post here two days ago, and looky, y'all, what it's evolved into:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanure

I don't pretend to understand all the words in the article; me, I might have posted a definition of "good shit" and been done with it.

Be kinda nice to have a reference to the book in the entry, no ? I might try so after deciphering what's there now if no one gets to it before me...

Author: Stephen L.
Thursday, July 08, 2004 - 11:27 pm

Good job!!!

Monday, July 12, 2004 - 12:10 pm

Ditto. Nice work.

Joe

Author: Larry
Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 8:46 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I just learned that Carla Emery died Oct. 11. She was a pioneer in promoting self-reliance and sustainable living practices, including composting toilets. Back in April of this year I hosted Carla and her husband Don, who toured the Northwest conducting workshops to promote the latest edition of her Encyclopedia of Country Living. Among the various books she offered for sale at such workshops was The Humanure Handbook. A short obituary may be seen at her website: https://www.carlaemery.com/ May she rest in peace.

Author: Anonymous
Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 1:51 pm

My son's global studies course in high school has a textbook published by prentice hall that introduces the student to many ancient river valley civilizations of note. In reading about the cities of Rome, Egypt, and the Indus Valley(aka now Pakistan's/India Kamir region)the highly prized intricate sewer systems were touted. I also observed however that the review of the ancient Yangtze River civilizations made no mention of "their" treatment of humanure. I tried to convince Jake to include China's composting(something I learned about in the Humanure handbook) in his essay that he had to write for class but he was too squeemish. This is the stuff of the NY State Regents and Prentice Hall textbooks, if only they would take the poop situation more seriously.

Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:14 am

Sad news about Carla.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.