Composting for those with intestinal ...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Composting for those with intestinal disorders
Author: KootenayBob
Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 7:37 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I just gotta say that I think the whole idea of Humanure composting is (though as old as the original pile of crap) overdue. kudos to J J for 'preaching the turd'

My partner and I live in a rural area in the kootenays (a la septic) and are coverted in pricipal, but yet to start our own humanure bin.
I am ready to take the plunge, but find myself on the horns of a dillema. My partner suffers from Colitus (a bowel disease/disorder resulting in, amongst other things, constant diharea) This puts a damper on humanure composting on two levels.

Firstly there are the health concerns and logistics involved in composting diharea. Specificly I'm worried about residual medication (Cortisal Steroids) in the compost, changes in the Carbon/Nitrogen ratio due to the liquid state of the "material" and the "smell factor".

Secondly is the "psych-factor" involved in leaving the comfort of a traditional water wasting porclain throne - especially when running to the "Can" multiple times a night. Does anyone else out there have any ideas for pimping out the sawdust shitter into something more comfortable?

I hate the idea that a condition (colitus) which probably has its roots in environmental contamination can prevent us from getting out of the mind set resposible for the whole mess in the first place.

Are there any other colitus sufferers out there who are composting humanure?

Author: Larry
Friday, October 15, 2004 - 9:24 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Diarrhea should not be an obstacle to composting humanure. Poop is poop. Covering with adequate amounts of sawdust avoids odors and visual unpleasantness. Sitting on a bucket toilet should be no more uncomfortable than a flusher. A seat is a seat. In fact, the bucket toilet is so cheap that it is easy to install two. One of the consequences of colitis is the sudden urge to defecate. If the toilet is tied up with another user, waiting one's turn can be difficult. A second toilet (in the basement/garage, for example)may offer a convenient alternative.

As for excretions of pharmaceuticals, yes, some may persist in compost. The treated effluent from sewage plants is known to contain a variety of drugs, including significant amounts of caffeine.The quantity in compost is likely to be small, and the combination of thermophillic composting with aging of the pile should alleviate concerns about land application of the finished product. Here in Washington State the Health guidelines suggest a further precaution: place finished compost in trenches around non-food plants (e.g. trees, shrubs)and cover with soil or mulch to avoid contact by animals or children.
Get a bucket toilet, Bob, it's the way to go.

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 4:09 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Heck, put a sawdust toilet whereever it is most needed!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.