Metal bucket use/adolescent involveme...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Metal bucket use/adolescent involvement in humanuring
Author: Mary Metcalf
Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 9:19 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I'm reading the Humanure Handbook and am all excited about the possibility of starting to use sawdust toilets. I'd like to hear what experience humanurers have had with using metal buckets for their sawdust toilets. Any experience with stainless steel? I'd like to avoid using plastic, if possible. Am wondering about any chemical reactions between the urine and metal that might adversely affect the composting process,etc...? How does metal hold up?
Also, how much involvement do you ask of your adolescents new to the system? They're pretty "grossed-out" by the idea.

Author: Stephen
Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 9:53 am

Plastic buckets are usually a waste product and thrown away, so they make a good candidate for a toilet.
As for adolescents, its good to get their minds open while their still young.

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 3:44 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

If you try metal please report back about the results. I would worry that it would rust out too quick. Producing metal buckets is probably kinda costly in energy consumption too.
As Stephen noted, plastic buckets are often just thrown away if someone doesn't make use of them so by using plastic buckets that you can get for free you are not contributing to the waste. However if you go to a store and specifically buy plastic buckets that would be another story.

Author: Mike Ozmer
Monday, January 30, 2006 - 9:57 pm

I have been researching this for our new home we are building soon. We have decided that this is a good idea and my wife is concerned about bacteria from the bucket. ie, plastic scratches and then you can't clean it out properly. We are thinking that metal buckets would be better because we could heat sterilize them on a wood stove outside after cleaning. Has anyone else tried this out? I see the original post is old and the original poster has not reported back yet.

Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 9:09 am

I'm not sold on the 'throw away' argument for plastic, as eventually the buckets are still going to be thrown away.We have been using stainless steel 'pots' for the last few years after being dissatisfied with plastic. (They are manufactured as cooking pots.) They have worked perfectly, are easy to clean, and don't discolour. The handles on the pots have died, but I can see the rest of them lasting as long as we do.

As for our kids (13 and 15) - they certainly don't volunteer to do poo bucket duty and would give their eye teeth for a 'normal toilet'.(I'm thinking of reading the humanure book to them on long car rides when they're a captive audience!) I'd love to hear from anyone who's sold this concept to a teenager!

Author: JamesK
Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:38 am

Well.... We got 4 out of 5 kids in the house to USE the sawdust toilets. Our youngest daughter thinks the whole idea of pooping in a bucket is "medieval".

We can't get any of them to actually empty a bucket. Oh, they will carry it out to the compost bin, carry out the gallon of water to rinse the bucket, but high-tail it away when it comes to actually emptying the thing.

Author: Larry
Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 11:06 am

Teaching kids the value of composting humanure is a real challenge in this culture where flush and forget is the American Standard. For many people in this crowded World a bucket toilet would be a great improvement. Consider this e-mail from an aid worker in South America who asked my help for a dire situation:

Iím working in a town in the Southeastern jungles of Peru. There are NO septic systems here, none at all not for this city of 80,000! The drainage all goes into the rivers. A lot of people have outhouses, that last for years, but one problem is we have a lot of water. And every year diring the rainy seson they will fill up with water. A lot of the tourist lodges up and down the river just run a PVC pipe from their outhouses to the river as well. And of course we all get the city´s drinking water from that same river.
Well, I cannot fix all these problems right now, but we do have a home for underage pregnant girls here, with an outhouse that is only 2 years old and now is full of water. Not far from it is our well for water! Iím looking for someone to draw up some plans for us to build a Composting toilet for use at this home.

My reply is that he obtain The Humanure Handbook pronto, get some buckets, and find a site above the flood zone to compost the humanure. I'll bet the young women will find this less "Medieval" than wading into an overflowing pit latrine.

Author: Wayne
Friday, February 10, 2006 - 10:59 am

You want "Medieval"? Here's "Medieval"-- just installed in the NEW train station in Kiev, Ukraine:

https://www.thefourprecepts.com/waynesworld/misc-pic/ukrainian_toilet.jpg

I took this in Summer 2001--couldn't beleive my eyes! And I saw many old-fashioned versions out and about the country, e.g. at the sea shore (what I wouldn't not have given to find a clean SDT).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.