Sideline topic...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Sideline topic...
Author: south-nj
Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 8:15 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Joe,

I am into making my own beer and noticed in your humanure book you touched on wine making and I seem to remember that you make your own vinegar... could you shed some more light on that and maybe a quick wine recipe that I could try...

Author: admin
Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 1:21 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Here's a standard wine recipe. This is our "house wine." Take five gallons of fresh apple cider (if you press apples, take a five gallon carboy to the press and fill it directly with the fresh cider - otherwise, you can buy cider, but it will have preservatives in it).

Add one packet of wine yeast (Montrachet, or just about any kind). Add one quart of white sugar or honey. Add a tiny bit of yeast nutrient if you have any (add it according to the instructions). Put an air-lock on the carboy, keep it in the dark (a paper grocery bag over the carboy will do) and keep it somewhat warm. A year later, bottle it. This will be a dry wine. You don't have to rack it or mess with it. You have to wait a year because that's how long it takes to ferment and then clarify. This is a very simple recipe that i have followed for decades. You can also distill this wine after it's done to make some very nice brandy.

To make vinegar, simply allow your fresh cider to ferment in the presence of oxygen (no yeast, sugar, or anything). If the cider is in a jug, keep a loose lid on it or just some cheese cloth over the open top to keep fruit flies out. It will turn directly into vinegar.

Vinegar is produced by yeast that thrive in an oxygenated environment. Their by-product is acetic acid. Wine is produced by yeast in an oxygen-free environment (hence the need for air-locks on the carboys - the airlocks let the CO2 out but don't let air back in). Their by-product is alcohol.

Joe

Author: Anonymous
Monday, March 07, 2005 - 3:09 pm

hey joe,

I liked the pictures of the "humanure hilton"...
Im not much of a builder... could you draw some plans for how to build the roof?

Author: south_nj
Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 9:36 pm

Joe,
I was curious about what style of beer your wife brews?

Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 2:06 pm

Anonymous: I have drawings of the Humanure Hilton in the next edition of the book. Publishing date Sept. 1st. The roof is a simple gable - not much to it. Just rafters butted together. My book drawings do not include detailed construction plans.

South NJ: my wife brews all kinds of beer. Mostly from malts in cans.

Author: Anonymous
Monday, March 28, 2005 - 5:16 pm

I read the article you pointed to in one of your links in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It seems that the Allegheny County Health dept didnt seem to approve... I wonder about Mercer County, PA??

Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 12:43 am

No problems in Mercer County, or in Pennsylvania, or anywhere, for that matter, that I am aware of. There are people in the "health department" that are not very well educated in the issue of compost. In fact, there are people in the compost industry who are not very well educated in the issue of compost. I'm not surprised at their scepticism.

Joe Jenkins

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.