Do drugs kill compost organisms?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Do drugs kill compost organisms?
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 7:46 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I've heard a funny story... that if you have smelly feet, caused by Tinea, and you sit with your feet in the compost heap for an hour or so, it takes away all the smell!
Don't quote me on this, but..... it's a secret, just between you and me.....

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 2:17 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Penicillin, streptomycin, bacitracin, tetracycline, cephalosporin, to name a few, occur naturally in the soil, and yet it teems with microorganisms. They are produced by the bacteria or fungi as a defense mechanism. A little antibiotic in the humanure is literally just a drop in the bucket.

Author: Mikehipson (Mikehipson)
Sunday, March 02, 2014 - 6:25 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi there, I'm not an expert, but since nobody has answered your question in like 8 years, I will share with you that I have taken lots of antibiotics and used my composting toilet with no worries. I'm sure that the negative effects would have to be proportionate to the amount of drugs taken. In conclusion: small amount of drugs = small amount of organisms affected... no?

Author: Mike Gibbons
Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 1:32 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

If a guest uses my sawdust toilet, and they have taken (i) antibiotics, or (ii) a vermicide for intestinal worms, will the drugs have an effect on the (i) microorganisms that create thermophillic conditions in my compost, or (ii) the worms that will inhabit the pile later on?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.