Pile fills up too fast

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Pile fills up too fast
Author: Lorax73
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 5:38 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

I've done two years of humanure compost piles, so far. They heat up great and are doing their job. They are walled by 4 normal sized pallets.
I run them from about May/June to the following May/June. But I run into this problem where they seem to "fill up" by early February. or this year I stretched it as high as I dare..until into March. Then I have to build another new, mid-winter, compost heap.. earlier than I had planned.

This is with 1 to 2 people, three cats and kitchen compost..also some grass clippings, the sawdust used in sawdust-toilets and hay to cover.
I've thought I was adding too much green grass clippings, so have tried to cut back some. It is cold up in northern minnesota, perhaps a longer time where the whole pile is frozen (thus mounting up.). I am not sure if my sawdust is "rotting" before I use it. Perhaps sometimes more fresh then rotting. Eventually the pile heats up and shrinks down. Perhaps not the end of the world that I have to have two piles going in a year.

thoughts? reflections?

Author: admin
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:49 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

You may want to enlarge your compost bin sizes. Sometimes pallets, although cheap and easy, create a smaller than ideal bin size, especially for a family. Pallets are fine for a single person, however. We compost for a famly of four, plus two daily office workers, plus visitors, often staying for weeks at a time. The ground posts that make up our bin are spaced 5 feet apart. You can see it at https://www.jenkinspublishing.com/hilton.html. Our active bin is full to the top right now (April 5th, 2005), but it is also heating again and now shrinking, so we will be able to add to it until summer solstice. Then, we'll switch to the other bin. We keep the top of the pile flat, with a lot of cover material gathered around the edges and the fresh deposits going into the center.

In the event your pile does fill up unexpectedly (this happened to us one winter, too), you can throw together a single pallet-bin in a matter of minutes and start a new compost pile in the interim. The one year we did that, we just allowed the lone bin to age on it's own for a year or so, then it was added to the corn patch (which, coincidentally, is where the bin was erected in the first place).

Joe Jenkins

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:43 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I read in some of these postings how sometimes adding something like cooking grease/oil or the wine leavings caused the pile to stay active even when it got cold.
Though the bin is probably a bit small.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.