Disseminating these ideas

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Disseminating these ideas
Author: limeflower
Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 2:31 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Joe, I emailed the Oprah show to request you as a guest. I don't think they'll appreciate my suggestion but I wanted to put my two cents in.( I rarely see her show, but it seems pretty lame now.) So... it occured to me that you might do an interview on Canada's national, commercial ad-free, non-profit radio station, CBC. I have emailed several requests to them for a regular program on gritty environmental issues and they have been doing alot more recently, so they must have had others making similar requests. We're really lucky to have them and they do a good job of giving unbiased reports. They air national and regional programs. I'd like to request you as a guest, but only if you'd agree. I am also considering writing a piece for our local newspaper on composting all household waste, which would include humanure. It is a free newspaper which has won awards for its journalism. It accepts freelance articles for its front page, if the topic deals with local issues and it has an obvious affection for environmental concerns. Mass media should be the friend of environmentalists. (I have more ideas up my sleeve.)

Author: admin
Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:55 am

I was actually interviewed by CBC Maritime Noon in Nova Scotia a few years ago (live), as well as by the BBC in 1998. I don't think Oprah would be very delighted about a topic like "shit," although they did have a "fart" guy on there recently, I'm told. You're supposed to fart 14 times a day, even if you're female - as was reported to me after the Oprah show. So every now and then I hear my wife yell, "FIVE!" or "EIGHT!" and I know her constitution is working just fine. She's keeping count.

You would get a better reaction from Howard Stern. I was already interviewed by them, but they may do it again.

And for an example of a recent article, go to https://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/gate/archive/2005/01/12/hmanr.DTL

Joe Jenkins

Author: Heather
Thursday, September 29, 2005 - 6:29 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I think humanure would be a natural (hahah.) for Mother Earth News. Very practical and an audience that might be more receptive than most.

Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:39 am

A former MS3 student at Slippery Rock University who edited the Humanure Handbook became managing editor of MEN and they still wouldn't do an article on humanure. They might some day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Joe Jenkins

Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:41 am

PS: MEN did review the book when it first came out in 1995. That single review sold 300 copies - all at the wrong price of $12, which was the price MEN incorrectly published in the review (it should have been $15 plus $3 shipping and handling).

Author: Heather
Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:02 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Thats ridiculous! AS a long time subscriber I think I will drop them a note!

Author: beachgirl
Friday, September 30, 2005 - 10:07 pm

MEN forums are full of warm fuzzies but not so much gritty intelligence. Maybe the magazine doesn't want to offend their followers.

Author: Stephen
Monday, October 03, 2005 - 9:14 am

I cancelled my subscription a couple years ago. Wasn't quite the same as years past.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.