HUMANURE HANDBOOK, 3RD EDITION

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: HUMANURE HANDBOOK, 3RD EDITION
Author: Joe (Joe)
Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 5:56 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I agree that fears of graywater are way overblown and that the literature on the subject at the time I wrote the book seemed a bit hysterical about the subject. I was only quoting my sources.

Author: John_ratford (John_ratford)
Sunday, December 27, 2009 - 3:54 am

I very much enjoyed the book and now feel confident and enthused to set up my own humanure composting. (The other deciding factor was that my deposit on Christmas morning blocked up the toilet for the whole day. I fear this incident, and the various attempts to dislodge it will become a legend in the household, and is best not repeated.) As an ex-environmental biologist, I had a few quibbles with some facts, but the arguments are absolutely compelling. If I may be critical, I thought you went overboard on the safety measures for graywater (Pathogens p211): don't come into physical contact with your own bathwater?! The figures you quote for coliforms in graywater are a tenth of the safety level for swimming water on the previous page. (The graywater with household garbage must have had some particularly nasty stuff in it to give such a high figure) So thanks for such a positive and entertaining book.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Tuesday, December 15, 2009 - 5:55 pm

The first edition is the worst of the three and is worth replacing with a 3rd edition copy.

Author: Jofo (Jofo)
Wednesday, December 09, 2009 - 4:35 pm

I originally came across the Humanure Handbook ten years ago when I glanced at it briefly and thought it was interesting. I've been keen on the idea of composting poo since then but didn't until recently actually read the book. I didn't have a clue about thermophilic composting or have an appreciation for the simplicity and brilliance of your system. Thanks for putting this info out there.

Now to my question. You said "If you have the second edition, you have 99% of the information that's in the 3rd edition" I have the fist edition. Is there any reason to get a newer edition? Iím sure all the facts included in the compelling reasons to compost your poo are all out of date but Iím not so concerned with that.

Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 11:27 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hi Joe
Congratulations.
What's different about the 3rd edition? Thanks.

Author: admin
Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 11:32 am

Well, the 3rd edition is redesigned, new cover, new trim size. The text is cleaned up, more concise, updated, repetition removed. It's easier to read, easier to translate, more suitable for a wider audience (including international). I'm hoping it gets into more schools. There are new drawings, new cartoons, and new photos of owner built toilets, among other things. I also removed the source lists and anything that had to be updated with addresses and phone numbers. I want this edition to have the ability to become a classic without the further need for revisions and updates. I'm already getting more requests for translation rights, so this edition is timely.

If you have the second edition, you have 99% of the information that's in the 3rd edition. Most of the changes in the 3rd edition involve stylistic and literary improvements, with a small amount of new material. I think the 3rd edition is a big improvement over the first two, however.

Joe Jenkins

Author: Heather
Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:13 pm

Third Edition!! Go Joe! I love your book and have felt very empowered by it. The good common sense and grounded practicality helped me transend some externally imposed limitations ("but I have to have an expensive complicated system!") and just MOVE on doing the right thing. Many thanks!

(Do you have piles of 2nd edition sitting around that you'd like to ship to some health departments? I go 3 ohio/pa border counties with interested com-poopster's)

Author: Joe Jenkins
Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 9:45 pm

We sold all of the first and second edition copies. For the 3rd edition, call Galina or Dawn at 866-641-7141, M-F, 9-5 eastern time.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.