Humanure in tropical regions

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Humanure in tropical regions
Author: 10simon
Friday, September 30, 2005 - 5:51 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Has anyone any experience of doing humanure in somewhere tropical? I live in okinawa, japan, and am wondering if i will need to shade my compost pile, or alternatively, will the sun (blindingly hot in the summer) and the humidity contribute to keeping the pile hot?

We also get pretty torrential downpours fairly often (doubly so for when a typhoon comes thru) so should I think about a roof or a lid to keep some of the rain out of my pile?

Speaking of typhoons....How solid or heavy does the pile become? I have a horrible image of my shit being blown around the neighbourhood. Perhaps i will need lids after all.....

Thanks for any advice you have to offer

Author: Joe Jenkins
Sunday, October 02, 2005 - 9:49 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I don't think you have to worry about your compost pile blowing around. It's like a pile of earth.

Author: TCLynx
Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:03 am

I would make sure your posts are sunk solidly into the ground and the sides of the bins are good and secure. Boards flying through the air are more of a danger than the shit. This might be a good place for the chicken wire to secure things.

Author: caralin
Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 8:00 am

The problem with the typhoons is not the compost pile blowing around, but the amount of rain coming down. In Taiwan, we get 2-3 meters of rain in a 3-day typhoon. This will make the compost too wet, and can wash it out (not blow it around). Our yard is of cement (over the neighborhood septic tank). So, I keep my compost elevated on pallets on cement under a under a roof. This keeps it from washing out. This also means I have to water it during the times we don't have a typhoon.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.