Bradford Co. PA

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Bradford Co. PA
Author: Anonymous
Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 9:17 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hi, anyone know off hand if a sawdust toilet and compost pile is an accepted method of disposal in Bradford County Penna?.. I see the Author has been awarded by the Penna-DEP, So maybe someone has some insider information about Pa?
The SEO is a neighbor who drives by twice a day going to work, so i dont want to tip them off.

For a plain ol-fashioned privy on my 20 acres, after permits, I would need to install a inground low profile concrete storage tank.. get in writing from any company that they will pump it out when needed.... then I would still have to install a inground greywater mound system.

would be nice if i didnt have to install the storage tank, only to never use the thing... I dont haVE throw-away money.

they can force me to install a system, but they cant force me to use it...

Author: Stephen
Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 11:20 pm

I'm in York and in the middle of being "found out"
So far they seem ok. Their calling mine an alternative system. Don't know whats next. I will be updating somewhere on the board when I have an update.

Author: admin
Friday, April 21, 2006 - 11:35 am

The humanure toilet is not a waste disposal system and not a sewage system. Nor is it an alternative waste disposal system or alternative sewage system. It has nothing to do with "composting toilets," plumbing, or waste water.

It's a "compost toilet system" that recycles human excrement via composting. The final product is compost. It's a backyard composting system. Waste disposal people may not understand this, and I think it's a mistake to allow waste disposal people to try to redefine the humanure toilet in their terms. It has nothing to do with waste disposal.

Joe Jenkins

Author: Anonymous
Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 6:19 am

SIGH, yes i fully understand what kind of system it is.. no need to split hairs over choices of words describing it.

***has nothing to do with "composting toilets,"****

It's a "compost toilet system"

LMAO yea, that clears it up!!

Author: admin
Tuesday, April 25, 2006 - 4:28 pm

A "composting" toilet is a toilet in which composting takes place. A humanure toilet is a collection toilet for composting elsewhere - not the same thing.

Author: wayne
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 11:26 am

In a court of law, it seems, decisions are often made on the basis of such hair splitting. Eventually, some of us may end up defending this practice in a legal setting. At that time, it could well make a difference how the debate is structured. There are laws that pertain to waste disposal, pollution, and to compost toilets--laws that might be difficult and/or undesirable to change. But there may be fewer (if any) laws that pertain to back yard composting. That's how I'm interpreting Joe's remarks (correct me if I'm wrong). From this standpoint (we can argue) the only way they can prohibit us from collecting and composting humanure is to show that there is some kind of pollutant emmanating from our compost bins (or the significant risk thereof). Seems like a better legal position to start from then arguing that you are using a "compost toilet" or an "alternative waste disposal system".

Author: TCLynx
Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 12:19 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

All of the above is really just saying, go ahead and do your composting and such but you may legally still have to install a normal septic system even if you arn't going to use it. Seeing as a sawdust toilet is not a waste disposal system and not generally covered under such laws. And, we don't really want them to be as that could then subject the backyard composting to those laws as well.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.