New Farm compost article

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: New Farm compost article
Author: Anonymous
Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 2:46 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Compost made better w/ additions...

https://tinyurl.com/krnuu

Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 4:21 pm

****Pile up between 25 to 40 parts (by weight) of a carbon-rich material (usually “brown” things like leaves, hay, straw, newspaper, or sawdust) with one part of a nitrogen-rich material (such as manure or food waste)****

so for every pound of manure one now needs 25-40 pounds of composting material???

so according to the article, for EACH 20 pound bucket of manure will need 500 to 800 pounds of composting material??

Author: Stephen
Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 11:29 pm

considering most full buckets will have probably between 6-10 craps and at least 12 pisses, your looking at about 22 scoops of sawdust.
No, I don't know the exact size of the above mentioned crap, piss, nor scoop, But I can say the majority of material will be your carbon cover material.
Perhaps I'll read the artical some time.

Friday, April 21, 2006 - 6:59 pm

Hum, I wonder if by weight should be switched with by volume.

Author: Stephen
Friday, April 21, 2006 - 11:26 pm

Please don't get technical its hard/simple enough. lol
perhaps, if it works.

Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 6:28 am

volume doesnt work out either...

based on volume,
every 5 gal bucket of manure would require 125-200 gallons of cover material... or 25-40 buckets...

so a family w 4 buckets to dump would require 100-160 buckets of cover material????

Sunday, April 23, 2006 - 1:44 pm

Hum, after actually looking at the article a little more closely, I don't think it really applies all that much to humanure.
They are talking about large piles of farm (dary and poultry manure). And trying to reduce possible losses of nutrients during heavy rains and turning. They are compairing plain manure piles with some "old compost recipie" and their new recipie with some extra additions.
This sounds like it might be of interest for large scale compost situations but probably not very aplicable to a small family bin.

As we have seen in a humanure system it does not take that huge amount of cover material to creat a good compost mix or to cover odors. Human Feces doesn't have that high an N content, it won't even compost all that well on it's own without the urine.

My guess about the ratios is much different. I expect we are using about 1 part humanure to 4-6 parts cover material.

The article calls for mixing the cover material throughly with the manure. The humanure method mixes some of the cover material with the manure and the rest is used as cover over/around the pile.

Different applications call for differen methodes I guess.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.