Menstruation discharge acceptable?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Menstruation discharge acceptable?
Author: DJH032796
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 11:41 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

My wife would like to make sure that putting menstruation discharge into the compost is acceptable. We purchased a piece of land on a river in NC and would like to keep it natural.

Author: S. Infante
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:11 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I put mine in via a Diva Cup. I would imagine pads and/or tampons could be composted, but most pads would leave a residue of plastic, but still the benefits would there; you just would have to filter out the plastic when it is sifted.

I also put in blood that has drained from meat. People purchase blood meal to put into their garden beds. It all gets composted and turned into something else by the end anyway. As with all composting, it is important to make sure there is a thick bio-layer of cover material to deter anything attracted to the contents of the pile be it menstruation discharge or humanure or food scraps.

Author: TCLynx
Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 12:19 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

It is as safe as anything else. They do make washable pads that some people soak in water and then use the soaking water to feed their plants. Any pads or tampons that are of all natural fibers will compost but as noted above most of the modern pads have synthetic materials and plastics that will remain.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.