Moving the pile

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Moving the pile
Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 12:09 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Geralyn - first, I think you should be able to edit your profile and change your "real" name to a nickname so your real name doesn't show.

Secondly, did your pile that you ended in June heat up? If so, what is the temperature now? We stop our pile mid june and it stays hot for about two months, then cools down. If yours was hot and is now cooling, then I think your idea would work well. If it never heated up, then you should probably leave it in a pile somewhere.

Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Friday, August 25, 2006 - 10:39 pm

You can go edit your profile and just replace your name with your user name. I had the same problem. This probably won't fix the posts you have already made but it will work for the future posts.

As far as moving the pile. The problem is not so much anything to do with eddible or non-eddible plants but active compost contains compounds that can be harmfull to plants. It can be especially detrimental to germination. A pile that was only put to bed a couple months ago is probably still pretty warm, moving it and/or spreading it will cool it off some but the composting process is not finished yet. If you are in a situation to build the beds and spread the compost in them and then cover it with some sort of mulch and leave the beds to rest till next spring, it might be ok.

Your imput Joe?

Author: Geralyn Devereaux (Palmtreepathos)
Friday, August 25, 2006 - 3:06 pm

please tell me how to get my "real name" off of my posts? not sure how that happened...lol

Author: Geralyn Devereaux (Palmtreepathos)
Friday, August 25, 2006 - 1:40 pm

Joe... It has been a great year for me and the garden. I am adding futher raised beds for the fall crops and now I need the area that contained last years pile. I stopped adding to it mid June of 2006 and now find myself anxious to remove it from the needed space. I am wondering though if, rather than move this behemoth pile to another site in the yard, that I might just spread it into 1 or 2 raised(contained) planting beds right where it is. These would be similar to the beds going in above and below it on a slightly inclined plot. I could top it with a layer of soil and simply overplant it with a non edible plant such as crimsom clover as it rests the final year. The plus of this is that it will be so much closer for spreading it over the garden next year too. =-)
Do you think that would work?
Thanks again for your continued interest and support of us novices

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.