Strong smelling urine

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Strong smelling urine
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:43 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I find that the urine smell is the most unplesant part and I have to make sure I have plenty of cover material in the base and around the edges of my bins since we are composting in holey trash cans on a patio.

Lately I have been using shredded cardboard and paper in the bottoms of the buckets. Probably as much as 3 inches in the bottom before we start usinging it. Then we cover liquid additions with another handful of the shredded paper products and solid deposits get the scoop of sawdust sprinkled over it. This seems to help some with the slop factor when emptying as shredded cardboard seems really absorbant. (that is corrigated cardboard which my 8 sheet shredder seems to handle ok one chunck at a time so long as we don't overheat it.)

If I empty the buckets often the smell doesn't seem to linger as long in the plastic after it drys.

As we are in an appartment we don't have the space to keep full buckets sitting around and the bins are only a few steps from the door so emptying every other day or so is not a problem. I sometimes empty every day if we are putting lots of kitchen scraps in the bucket. The fresher the urine the less offensive.

I would never try to humanure compost without the urine since the urine is the moiste nitrogen source that can get the pile up to the proper temperatures. The poo is kinda beside the point since we have gotten a very hot pile with urine and cover alone. The composting is just the proper way to deal with the poo.

Of course some people may not wish to risk using unknown inks in their compost but since we are not growing food in it at this point I figure composting as much paper product as I can is a good way to deal with it.

Author: Shalali Infante (Sinfante)
Monday, September 18, 2006 - 9:03 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Grin and bear it. It only lasts a few minutes while dumping the bucket. Have the hose ready with a valve on the end so you can readily hit the bucket with some water and swish it out really quickly and then put a little more water with a little soap and it does not smell any more.

I get the hole in the compost pile ready, have the lids loose on all the buckets, quick dump then one at a time, and loosely cover them with the lids after they are dumped, do a fast rinse on all of them, and then put a little soapy water in all of them, except one, where I put a little more soapy water, wash that one, dump the soapy water into another bucket, rinse the first and keep going until I am done.

The urine smell is not as bad as a diper pail, so it is just something that is part of responsibly dealing with our human waste. You also might try adding more of a sponge of sawdust at the bottome of the bucket before you begin to help absorb more urine

Author: Talia Johnson (Tallinic)
Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 10:59 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Does Anyone have any suggestions on what to do about strong smelling urine fouling up the bucket? The family member that had to empty the bucket last time said he was gagging from the smell. We seem to generate a lot of pee around here. It is hot in our house and we are drinking a lot of water in the summer. It seems to accumulate at the bottom of the bucket.

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.