Large amts of waste

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Large amts of waste
Author: Adora Masci (Adora)
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 5:09 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

The comunity that I live in may decide that I have to use an outdoor concrete vaulted privy toliet. This is up to code and it is basicly the same as a Mouldering toilet that is discused in your handbooks. After the waste has sat there for a year, then it is legal for me to put it directly on the ground. I could try then to do a further above ground compost, but they aren't budging, yet, and the comunity makes decisions by concesus. They are also happy to have it hauled away by the county or whoever will take it. I have some health problems of my own and even though this stuff has sat for years very little decomposition is noticable, do you recomend any precautions for handling it. I could wear gloves and a mask might make it more acceptable of a chore. i am also conisering having it removed and starting fresh with my own system.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Tuesday, September 26, 2006 - 11:06 am

TCLynx is right. You're probably going to have to make thermophilic compost from other materials and then add the drum contents a little at a time. The drum contents probably won't heat up on their own, even with carbon materials added.

Wood ashes are high in pH and high pH environments are created to kill bacteria and microorganisms ("lime-stablized sludge" for example), so your material may not have much microbial biodiversity all by itself. You will have to experiment, but you can probably get it to compost.

Monday, September 25, 2006 - 9:45 am

Thanks for yor info, I would like to try your suggestions and I will let you know how it goes. The neighboor who is very concerned about this process is willing to let me use their thermometer, but we have to agree to try the project first. It is mainly stool only in the barrels, very little urine. I will find some grease to pour into it. I don't understand why they let so much waste build up in the first place. There is one person who dud try to handle some of it a few years back. He put a barrel in a wooden box and left it out, it has been years and I don't know the details, but it looks like soil to me now.
We live in Upstate NY. I don't know how cold it will be this winter, or at what ambeint temp. compost stops composting at. I just know that the land here is always water logged in the spring and I worry that too much water could be a ground water or a run off problem.
Thanks again for your imput.

Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:38 am

Interesting situation. Are the Drums only filled with poop or is there urine mixed in? Sounds like some of it is pretty old. Do you have a compost thermomiter yet?
https://www.reotemp.com/

Hopefully some one can chime in about any dangers that might be involved in such a situation but I expect the biggest problem is just the unplesantness of it.

If it is only poop, then you need to add more nitrogen to get it to heat up and thermalitically compost, simply mixing it with cover material might leave it all too carbon rich to heat up. If you can get some piles of green grass clippings delivered as well as straw that might help. Wet green things are good, rotting fruit and veggies would help. Fresh urine is a good source of nitrogen and will definitely help if the poop in the barrels has dried out.

Here are some ideas to let you test things and figure out what will work best. Start off dealing with only one drum and one enclosure. (the enclosure doesn't have to be anything elaborate, could simply be a circle of hardware cloth wire about 4-5 foot in diamiter-good as it lest lots of air in- or three pallets hooked together-good since you can usually get them free for the hauling- or whatever you want.) Anyway, do put your deep lining in the bottom. Leaves, pine needles, and shredded paper work too. You can probably get started with anywhere from 2-6 5 gallon buckets of the poop and to those first buckets you may wish to add some extra nitrogen rich stuff so there will be something to help heat it up. I often add cooking oil or bacon grease when I want to give a new pile a jump start. You might be able to get a jug of used fryer grease from a restraunt. Then mix in some of that cover material and then cover it all over. Put the compost thermomiter in and monitor for several days to see if it heats up. Adjust your mix till you find a recipie that does heat up. Once you find the right mix to get things hot, you can probaly deal with the rest of the drums as you have the materials to mix and cover them with.

Are you humanure composting your regular byproducts already? How did this cabin wind up with these poop filled drums in the first place? What climate are you in since you mentioned spring thaw?

Good luck and please keep us posted as to how things go.

Friday, September 22, 2006 - 6:02 pm

I am moving to a cabin at a land trust with 10, 50 gal drums of poop that have been collected over the last 15 years with very little carbon material added, mostly ash. I need to deal with this safely. My neighboors down hill from me are very concerned about ground water contamination and runoff, and the possiblilty of loosing there organic status as a farm. I am planning to make multiple, 3 sided above ground, open air wooden boxes. and have staw and sawdust delivered. Then put a deep lining of staw and dust on the groun and dump one 5 gallon bucket full of wast at a time into a box, cover it with carbon matter until it no longer smels, and then dump the next 5 gal pail until all 500 gallons are covered. Then I want to surround the whole thing with strawbales and maybe a tarp should be placed on top until the spring thaw. What would you do? Have you ever known anyony who safely delt with so much at one time? Please answer asap the barrels of poop realy put a damper on my enjoyment of my yard. Thank,
Adora

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.