Buckets that don't stink

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Buckets that don't stink
Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Friday, October 26, 2007 - 1:16 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

We have always used the enamel metal chamber pots as kitchen compost containers. They're perfect for that. I got my last one on ebay. You used to be able to find them at yard sales and flea markets, but they're getting harder to find.

Author: Patrick (Pcinca)
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 - 1:27 pm

I have many of the antique enameled metal pots- some with lids, many without. They all have wood grips on wire handles. Many of them have or had a rubber "O"-ring in the middle of the wood grip to protect the enamel. I've replaced a few missing rings with one's I got at the hardware store.

Some of these pots are in pristine condition and I park them next to my humanure toilet as a back-up and to let visitors see what the norm was not that long ago and to abate any complaints about the H. toilet.

The chipped units are perfectly suited for yard work and/or emergencies when one is too far from the H. toilet.

I have one brass unit that was a normal fixture on all passenger railroad cars and on it's label, it say's "DO NOT EMPTY THIS TOILET OUT OF TRAIN WINDOW"- LOL

I have a number of richly decorated ceramic c.p.'s from the 1800's with wicker handles and pee-hole lids. These are works of art and almost too nice to use- almost.

Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Monday, October 22, 2007 - 7:27 pm

You can also keep an eye out to the antique markets for the old fashon enameled metal chamber pots. You might even find one with a lid. Do check them over carefully though as it is possible for them to rust out if there was a chip in the enamel.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 10:45 am

Leslie, This is great news! 8 months after Ted posted the original message about the plastic Chinese chamber pot, someone finally has success in locating one- congratulations!

I would like to get one. As a person living in Vancouver, can you help me out?

Thanks

Author: Leslie Moreau (Lessismore)
Tuesday, August 07, 2007 - 6:00 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

We bought a chamber pot in Chinatown. It's made of hard plastic, but has a flared base - very stable, and the opening is large enough for an average-sized bottom. It's not the same design as the one Ted bought.
Jill tried it as soon as we got home and likes it very much. I asked for a larger size but there weren't any.
We looked in all the likeliest stores in Chinatown-no one is selling the enamelware - very surprising. We didn't see any porcelain ones either and whenever we asked about chamber pots, we got embarassed denials (except from the proprietor where we bought ours)
Six dollars, good investment - we'll see if it stinks after awhile.

Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Monday, August 06, 2007 - 11:20 am

Chamber pots are great!!!! My grandmother's house is from the late 1800s and there are several chamber pots here. They still get used (only one bathroom and often lots of people in the house) and emptied into the compost.

Our chamber pots are the enamel covered metal pots with lids. I've found that any container that holds urine can aquire a smell but letting them air out in the sun works for anything plastic 5 gallon bucket included.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 8:22 pm

For anyone else who's interested, the chamber pots weren't available at the dollar store.
We're going to try to find them, or something better, in Chinatown or at another dollar store, but this could take some time.........we'll post our findings here when we have news or have exhausted our search.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Sunday, August 05, 2007 - 2:33 pm

A porcelain chamber pot with lid makes a great kitchen compost container.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 - 4:47 am

We'll check it out in the next day or two and get back to you.

Thanks for the info!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 - 2:37 am

Leslie, You live in Vancouver? Perfect! It took a huge amount of correspondence to locate the store that has the c.p.'s, but perserverance paid off. I tracked it down and now I need someone who lives there to do me a big favor and buy, then ship a c.p. to me.

This store supposedly has two sizes available (the one Ted gave a photo link to and a larger one).

If you want to contact the store or go there, it's called the "Dollar Delux" at 1 MN-5847 Victoria Dr. near E 41st Ave. Please contact me at pcwho@yahoo.com if you find the c.p. there.

I collect all kinds of c.p.s and especially antique one's. I built a Humanure Toilet using the standard 5 gal. plastic bucket, but I can adapt most any antique c.p. to the cabinets. I like to have a c.p. sitting next to the toilet just to remind people what a common comode looked like many years ago. And these antique c.p.s make a great flower pot, esp.,the floral design porcelain one's.

I get most of my c.p.s at ebay and it's worth a visit there to see all the myriad designs including fine antique c.p. cabinets. Go to ebay and just type "chamber pot" in the search box.

Monday, July 30, 2007 - 9:40 pm

Hi, I live in Vancouver and would like to know where I could get one of those chamber pots.

Could you post which dollar store your wife bought it at? I haven't seen them so far.....

Friday, December 08, 2006 - 1:09 pm

Ted~

Thanks for the info! I went to two of these Dollar Stores yesterday and they had no clue what I was talking about (language translation problems I think).

There actually is a big distribution company that sells franchises and products for these dollar stores and has a website with a big catalog, but no luck there, either.

So Ted, you want to become the official distributor of the Green Plastic Chinese Chamber Pot? LOL

Author: Ted Walther (Tedwalther)
Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:10 am

The chamber pot smells a bit like incense. It is possible that the manufacturer put shellac or varnish on top of regular plastic to create the impervious, smooth surface. And probably incorporated some good smelling stuff in it too.

Here in Vancouver, the Chinese capital of Canada, there are dollar stores everywhere. They are always run by Chinese people. Dollar store is not a brand name, it is a description of a type of store where you can go in and buy all sorts of useful household knick-knacks for a dollar or less. They are cheap mass-produced junk imported from China. A lot of it looks like junk until you live with an Asian person and see the creative uses they have for the bits and bobs of plastic. I'm surprised the chamberpot is only $1. It is a find.

Now, for the text. The label with the little piggy on it says "XINLING" on the left, and "KA TONG ER TONG YI JIA" on the right.

On the bottom of the pot there is some embossed writing, which says XINLING, NO: R320, PP, 120C, -20C. I take it to mean this chamberpot is usable between the temperatures of -20 and 120 Celcius.

There is a little sticker on the bottom too; the legible text is:

R 320
C/STXL 1-2001
OB/440500 83 1052-2001
(0754) 2489565 2484571

ISBN: 6 922609 632014

Hope that info helps.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:53 pm

Ted~

I went to your link and checked out your Chinese porta-potty. Very cool! I would like to get one. Can you spell out the name, upc # and any other identifying info. What stores are these availble at, etc.

Thanks

Author: Ted Walther (Tedwalther)
Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 3:37 pm

The regular five gallon plastic buckets that you buy from the hardware store for $5 are porous.

This means over time, odor gets into them. You cannot wash the odor out even with soap.

There are three options.

a) porcelain
b) metal
c) different plastic

Several months ago my wife bought a chamber pot from a Chinese dollar store. It is a work of art. She bought it for a dollar or so. I never thought squatting could be comfortable until I used this. The pot is exactly the right height. Secondly, the pot is extremely stable. The opening is small and makes a perfect seal with your back end when you make the deposit. This keeps odor in. Did I mention the height? The great fear people have of squatting is that if you squat too low, you will end up sitting in your own poop. This chamber pot was designed by people who have been doing this for ages. Not once did the waste at the bottom of the chamber pot come close to a level where it would touch ones back side.

Lastly, the smell. The pot is made of some type of special, smooth shiny plastic. You rinse it off and forget it about it. There is no odor. The plastic is not porous.

Amazing what you can buy for a dollar.

The writing on the bottom of the pot is in Chinese, so I can't tell you the brandname or where to buy it.

No. r320 is on the bottom, and the word Xinling seems like some sort of brand.

View it here:

https://reactor-core.org/~djw/pics/20061206/chamberpot

I wonder if the humanure market is big enough now to get some special plastic buckets custom made from this non-porous shiny plastic. I could see one being made to look like a gigantic flower vase. Or even a toilet; put the cover material where the water tank usually is.

I mean, it is fun to build our simple toilets, but at a certain point we have to make these things beautiful so people want to sit on them.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.