Bioplastic in compost pile

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Bioplastic in compost pile
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 12:21 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

You could probably even take to putting paper grocery bags into the buckets. They would still need a quick rince and swish but you shouldn't have a problem with cover materials and poo sticking to the inside of the bucket requiring extra scrubbing, water or soap. It all depends on how many paper bags you bring home regularly if this would work out. We know the paper bags will decompose quickly and when emptying into the pile it would be easy to rip or punch extra holes in it.

As for saving water, we wash our buckets with used dish water. We don't line our buckets and less than a gallon of the soapy water is usually enough to rince two buckets twice. Luckily I'm not squimish, if there is stuff sticking in the buckets I usually use a handfull of cover materials to wipe it out. That just means washing my hands well which I would need to do anyway.

Author: catbox (Catbox)
Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 7:46 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hari,
If you line the buckets with a couple of sheets of newspaper they are much easier to clean. Put four layers (cut in a circle to fit) in the bottom and they will dump out better than two layers. First put in the side pieces of newspaper, then put the four bottom layers in. The four bottom layers will hold the side sheets open. You could put a small piece of tape to hold the side sheets up and together.

Author: Patrick (Pcinca)
Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 3:49 pm

Hari~ Thanks for the link, I have been hearing about compostable plastic for years and it looks like this product might be worth a try- especially for a camping trip. One of their products is a collaspsable potty seat for bagging one's body waste to take back home and put into the compost bin. Your idea of poking holes in the bag probably wouldn't hurt although this company claims that a normal thermophilic/aerobic digestion process will work without perforating the bags.

As for cleaning out your bucket and possibly using too much water, I have used on average about a half quart and no soap- just a quick rinse-out and then I let the bucket sit in the sun for awhile to dry it out.

Afterall, the bucket will be used again for the same purpose and a complete sterilization/cleaning seems unneccessary.

Author: Hari S. Khalsa (Hari)
Thursday, December 14, 2006 - 11:10 am

I've noticed that the subject of using compostable plastic bags as liners for toilets has been discussed in various places in these forums, but it doesn’t seem like anyone has directly answered whether this idea would work or not. On a recent bucket-emptying trip to my compost pile I had a heck of a time trying to clean the buckets using inordinate amounts of water and a brush and compostable dish soap. I live in New Mexico where water is a precious resource and I definitely do not want to have to use this much water in the future. I was thinking that potentially no water would be necessary if I lined the buckets with compostable plastic.

My concern is whether the bioplastic bags will interfere with the composting process. They’re supposed to not allow liquid through but they are supposed to let air through. I was thinking that perhaps once I throw the bag on the compost pile I can puncture some holes in it with a pitch fork or rake to ensure there is enough oxygen allowed and so the newly added deposit can mix with the old deposits such that there is a sufficient mass to achieve thermophilic conditions. Does anyone think this strategy will work? Or does anyone think there might be some problems with this?

If this works then I think this could be a method that would have great appeal to many people, especially those that enjoy not having to put too much thought into their actions.

I’m thinking of purchasing the bags found at https://www.biobagusa.com/biodegradable-bags.html

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.