Compost Pile close to garden

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Compost Pile close to garden
Author: TCLynx (Tclynx)
Friday, February 01, 2008 - 7:23 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

My vote is to not worry about it. If you are getting really heavy rains and noticing lots of run off, then you probably want to throw a cover over the compost pile anyway so it doesn't get too wet. It will be easier to spread the compost on the garden if the bin is near by. That is just my take on it.

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 7:49 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I got stuck with an overflowing bin one winter and had to throw up a quick bin to take up the slack - in the corner of my garden. I made it of pallets. I let it sit a year or so, then used the compost to plant corn in the same garden area.

Author: Scott (Tickridgescott)
Sunday, November 25, 2007 - 9:37 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I built the compost pile last year (before we moved in I was using the bucket system during construction.) I did not realize it would end up being close to the garden. I'd say the nearest garden bed is 10 feet away. The ground very slightly slopes toward the garden underneath the compost pile. The garden is not a functioning garden yet as we are in the building our soil stage. I am just concerned about anything that might run toward the garden. If I were to move the bin back 10 feet, the ground underneath would be sloping really well down a big hill in the opposite direction of the garden. I am just not sure if it is something to be overly concerned with. We live in southeast OHIO and get 37 inches of annual rainfall, fairly spread out over the year. I will be building the second bin next week and will be placing that second bin back over the hill. After waiting a year for the first bin to age, we will be able to use the material. At that point, i could dis-assemble the bin and move it down near the second bin. Just wondering if moving it is advised: Basically I am wondering if the effort to move it is necessary. Thanks, Scott

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.