The Perfect Bin Location

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: The Perfect Bin Location
Author: Rman (Rman)
Wednesday, March 25, 2015 - 8:09 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

If the compost is maintained properly there should be no leachate in an average climate and I expect during ground flooding conditions it will be no worse than conventional systems.

In our area I would recommend 100 ft from open water but that would be to appease any official types that might become involved.

Author: Griztopher (Griztopher)
Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - 2:24 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Just joining this conversation a year later! Basically wondering how concerned one needs to be with Hacienda location with regards to a natural creek. I have a shady hacienda spot in mind that would work perfectly about 50 feet away from running water on a gentle rise of about 10 feet.

Is there much concern for compost liquid permeating soil/contaminating spring with proper cover material base?

Thanks!

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 6:23 pm

"What about long side site facing north or south? Is there any advantage either way?"
Primarily for your own comfort (room temperature) it could make a difference. It will make virtually no difference to the composting process which depends on bacterial activity within the pile.

Author: Viviloop (Viviloop)
Tuesday, July 22, 2014 - 6:06 pm

Just about to get building the hacienda - hoorah!- after talking about it for 5 years!

My location will be in summer sun, winter shade, aprox. 40-50' from studio, which has very glam humanureloo.

What about long side site facing north or south? Is there any advantage either way?

Author: Rman (Rman)
Friday, July 11, 2014 - 4:43 pm

A drilled well or a well with the legal definition of " at least 6 metres of watertight casing " in Ontario Canada can be 50 ft or the equivalent metres away from a septic bed/tank.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, March 22, 2014 - 9:42 am

Also, a compost pile that is built near to trees can get one big problem of tree roots growing up into the compost.

Author: Chemo (Chemo)
Thursday, March 20, 2014 - 10:27 pm

Make sure the bin is at least 100 feet away from a well.

Author: Dave T (Dave)
Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 10:26 pm

Thanks Joe.... will be building a hacienda soon.

Author: Sally (Sally)
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 5:57 pm

I followed your link Dave, and was delighted to view the humanure videos through your site. For some reason I couldn't seem to see them from the website here. Great info. And your blog looks something... hoping to get some more time to have a read.

On the subject of the compost piles: Treed area okay? That's great, it answers a question of mine too.

Soon.... soon.. our system will be set up. Family are coming around to the concept. :-)

Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 2:00 pm

A treed area is good. Sun is not necessary.

Author: Dave T (Dave)
Monday, May 19, 2008 - 6:24 pm

Hi, we're currently building a straw bale home and planning to use a humanure system. Is there a perfect location for the bins? Should they be in full sun or shade" I was thinking of tucking them into a hidden treed area that does not get any sun... thanks.
https://rockhaven.blogspot.com/

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.