Finished compost

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Finished compost
Author: Joe Jenkins (Joe)
Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 9:17 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

It's better to leave it in the pile until you're ready to use it. That allows the fungi and other organisms more time to work.

Author: John D. Seibert (Shush)
Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 3:58 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi Scott: Keeping it in a pile until use is to encourage the continued castings from worms until your ready to spread it and use it. I note you're from Ohio; spreading is later in Spring, right? Good luck

Author: Scott (Tickridgescott)
Saturday, November 29, 2008 - 4:43 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I have two bins, the first is now been sitting a year untouched and is ready. The second is almost full and i won't be able to make it till next spring with it. If I remove the finished compost from the first bin now - is it best to put it in a pile or spread it on garden beds? I was wondering if there were any advantage as far as nutrient-value if left in a pile till i am ready for it verses spreading it? Thanks, Scott

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.