Must I use sawdust? Suppose I don't ...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Must I use sawdust? Suppose I don't have/don't want a compost pile?
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, August 25, 2009 - 6:12 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Nancy, thanks for the feedback.
So far, I have been adding the finished compost to my garden soil. This is in a forested area, and I am mixing it in with forest mulch together with branches and leaves which have also been chipped/mulched.
I am not a good gardener... a bit lazy to be honest. I would rather leave that side of it to someone else. My love is in the production of great compost, using wonderful nature to do the job. It's also fun to see the reactions of people to this compost when you tell them what it "once was!"

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Monday, August 24, 2009 - 8:10 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Ecointerest,

I guess in my terms I would consider your worm bins a type of composting. No offense intended, jus a different interpretation of the words. I love the idea of an indoor alternative for those without outdoor space. More power to you. What do you do wth the finished material/compost?

Nancy

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 9:12 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I appreciate Rosebud's question. Not everyone's circumstances facilitate having a compost pile, but this should not deter anyone from adopting the Humanure concept, which is too important for small problems to make one drop the idea.
My use of garbage bins and worms to do the long-term composting DOES work. Every part of Joe's principles is relevant, without the large pile to accomplish the thermophilic conditions.

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Thursday, August 20, 2009 - 2:17 am

Is this a serious question?

You might start by reading Joe's book. The Humanure Handbook https://weblife.org/humanure/index.html

Author: Rosebud (Rosebud)
Tuesday, August 18, 2009 - 2:49 pm

Suppose I don't HAVE a compost pile and don't plan to start one but love the idea of the humanure potty. What do I do? Plus, can I use cat litter instead of sawdust?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.