Hookworms before the compost?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Hookworms before the compost?
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 5:15 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I was unfortunate enough to contract hookworm in Tanzania, back in 1974. The treatment then was Antimony - I remember the disgusting, bitter taste lasted a couple of days!
As I understand it, the larvae are able to get on your skin if you are walking around in moist soil. Children in Africa are very susceptible because they do walk and play in puddles, which might have been contaminated by feces.
For those larvae to be able to "climb" the sides of a humanure bucket, then gain access to warm, damp soil, and thereby infect a human, I would think most unlikely.
Happy to hear the views of an expert here.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Monday, August 23, 2010 - 4:27 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Also need to put in a hookworm proof screening device under skin so if they can climb your are safe. Also need to test adult, and larvae at all stages of growth. Sounds like a big project.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Monday, August 23, 2010 - 4:07 am

Great question that can be experimented. Please post if you find any info.

Put some hook worms in the specific kind of bucket and system you use and see what happens at various levels of humanure. Also may need to time duration of seating. I have no Idea if the worms can climb verticaly.

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Monday, August 23, 2010 - 12:40 am

Interesting. I don't have anything to contribute, but I hope that you will share what you learn as you do further research.

Author: Otmar (Otmar)
Monday, July 12, 2010 - 2:11 pm

Greetings all,

I have recently read "the book", it's wonderful!

I am planning to set up a humanure system.
Like some early adopters, I am also planning to have a controlled light hookworm infection to control autoimmune diseases. More on that here:
https://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2009/09/25

One key here is "light" meaning 20-50 worms and I don't want to increase that unintentionally.

My concern with the bucket loo lies here:
The conditions in the bucket before the compost pile seem like (in warm weather) they may be conducive to incubating the hookworm eggs to a point where they would be able to crawl. According to the above linked story, outhouses were developed to keep hookworm larvae from crawling (they say they can crawl several feet horizontally at least) and reinfecting people. So I wonder if anyone has ever studied this? Can a hookworm larvae crawl up a plastic bucket surface? To be honest, I would be surprised if they could, but I don't know that much and therefore am asking here.

Thanks in advance!

(Message edited by otmar on July 12, 2010)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.