Grey water and mosquitos

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Grey water and mosquitos
Author: Jerry Hoffmeister (Jhoff)
Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 10:42 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Anyone know how I can keep mosquitos from breeding in my greywater "tank". Here's my system: I bought the biggest trash can I could find. Cut a hole in the side near the bottom and attached a hose bib to it using a large nut, a large metal washer and a large rubber washer. Now I can connect a hose and since I was able to put it on a deck on my hillside, gravity helps me to water my garden. I use buckets to take our shower water to it. Problem is that lately mosquitos have started breeding in the water. Of course I could add a bit of bleach but that would defeat the purpose somewhat. Does anyone have any ideas? I live in Seattle and we normally hardly have any mosquitos here. I've been doing this for 6 mo here and a year back when I lived in Baltimore (lots of mosquitos there but none in the grey water).

Author: Joe Jenkins
Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 8:18 pm

Is the top open? Can you put a lid on it? A screen?

Author: Jerry Hoffmeister (Jhoff)
Friday, August 17, 2001 - 2:53 am

Yes, the top is partly open. I have a lid but it's hard to take on an off (it's tight) and I add water 1-2 times per day via bucket... and I'm also considering saving rain water which would go thru a screen I guess from the downspout which should do the trick. Guess I need to use the lid. Thanks! Btw, we also humanure compost and really appreciate your book.

Author: Joe Jenkins
Friday, August 17, 2001 - 11:51 am

Our rain barrels have screens over the top and the water enters from downspouts directly through the screens. That keeps the mosquitos out.

Author: Anonymous
Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 3:21 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

In answer to the mosquito problem, You could use mosquito dunks which are a natural way to defeat mosquitos. They look like small doughnuts that you just toss in the water, but they contain a strain of bacterium which feed on mosquito larvae. All the literature I've seen shows them to be completely safe and non-toxic to humans and pets. They are EPA approved (for whatever thats worth). You should be able to find them either online or in garden shops or possibly from pond builders. Hope this helps.

Author: admin
Tuesday, January 01, 2002 - 10:32 pm

I've bought them from Real Goods in Hopland California.

Author: Diana
Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 1:06 am

you can use BTI which is a natural preditor for mosquito and black fly larvae....just search on the web for BTI fly control and it will come up

Author: admin
Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 11:43 am

I believe that mosquito dunks and BTI are the same thing (Bacillus Therugiensis Israelii). I'm not certain about the spelling.

Author: TCLynx
Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 10:25 am

The easiest solution may be to attach a screen over the opening, then you can simply pour the buckets through the screen. I cut most of the center part of a lid away so it was just a rim to hold a screen in place. It will also help keep debris and leaves out of the bin.

Author: Anonymous
Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 8:20 am

Try adding a little veg. oil, it floats on top of the water smothering the pests

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.