Building a Compost Bin

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Building a Compost Bin
Author: Test2 (Test2)
Tuesday, April 26, 2011 - 4:04 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

To avoid pyramid shape make a containing structure. When top is square you can more easily cover the smelly stuff well.

The cheapest method maybe a wire mesh fence bent into a circle. If your mesh is too big use cardboard inside the mesh.

(I don't like plastic - may leach bad stuff into pile ?). But I don't think it will cause anaerobic, if you have stuff that create air space in the pile.

Author: Eliaznetsahgmailcom (Eliaznetsahgmailcom)
Sunday, April 24, 2011 - 4:52 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I already have a compost heap, but without any walls or structure, its just a heap. I want to make it a humanure one, so I believe I need to build some walls. However, I do not have much wood, so is it acceptable to put a few wooden stakes into the ground, and then hang a sheet of tarpaulin between them as a sort of wall?

I thought that since a plastic sheet would not let any air through, I would get anaerobic fermentation? Or would that not be the case if I layered the pile properly? I don't turn my compost heap at the moment and it is doing fine, but at the moment it does not have any walls around it.

Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Monday, November 29, 2010 - 4:49 pm

I have used pallets for compost bins for about 20 years. The last 5 years have included humanure composting. I have had no issues due to the gaps between the boards. Sure a small amount of fine stuff falls out eventually but it falls straight down and is still there and available when I take the pallets away to shovel the compost away.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Monday, September 27, 2010 - 11:30 am

Link to Mongolian photos: https://humanurehandbook.com/consulting.html#mongolia

Author: Compost_d (Compost_d)
Monday, September 27, 2010 - 6:26 am

Joe,
Thanks for the prompt reply. I think that is good enough information for me to now get started.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 2:01 pm

When we built bins in Mongolia, we did not sink the posts into the ground - just let them sit on top. We had to secure a horizontal board across the bottom of the free side, etc., to give it the needed support however. The loose boards on the front do not need a slot. The compost will push them against the posts and hold them there. Pallets are not usually pressure treated. I have never seen one made of treated lumber (too expensive to manufacture, I think).

Author: Compost_d (Compost_d)
Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 8:54 am

Hello all,

I'm finally in a position to actually start my own composting endeavor using the Jenkins Humanure model. I'm curious if I missed the page/illustration in the HH on how to build the compost bin structure.

In Joe's Haitian videos, he says he doesn't prefer using Pallets because of the gap in which the pile material can fall in to. Even that being the case, pallets are the quick and dirty way to start a bin. How do I know if the wood in a pallet is not pressure treated and arsneic laced ?

Also, it would be awesome to see more detailed schematics of the Humanure Hacienda. I can see in the "How to start a compost bin" clip which features H.Hacienda a general view of the layout of a single bin. 4 posts dug in to the soil and boarded from 3 sides (nailed to the outside). One side is left open and is boarded up (from the inside loosely, no nails involved) in parallel to the progress of the heap. Is there a nook for the boards to secure in place or are they just sized to fit flush and snug?

Btw, I've never dug posts before, how deep do I want them to be. Is it as simple as digging that far deep with a shovel, sinking and securing the posts and then filling the holes back up with soil?

Very newbie questions, thanks in advance,

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.