Quantity of compost in a year

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: Humanure Handbook - A Guide to Composting Human Manure: Quantity of compost in a year
Author: Longsnowsm (Longsnowsm)
Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 12:03 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Well thanks for the encouragement everyone. I checked Craigslist and found a couple of people giving away free bagged leaves. So I am making a run over to get those today. Looks like I should have about 14 bags of leaves from the free leaves pickup so that should be enough to get me started.

Also I picked up some lumber for my Loo project so hopefully in the next few weeks I can get my own Loveable Loo built. I can hardly wait!

Author: Md_heath (Md_heath)
Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 10:39 am

composting, as a process, is used to "clean up" things like chemical residue, etc. I use composting, in an industrial environment, to clean up some really ugly chemical residues, far worse than any plywood glue. the "pressure treated" wood should be avoided, but the other should be fine. also, crushed leaves work great. that is my primary cover material and very successful.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Friday, February 11, 2011 - 4:09 pm

Search this message board for "cover materials."

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Friday, February 11, 2011 - 6:24 am

I can understand the caution. However, personally, I tend to trust the ability of earth worms, other biota such as bacteria, fungi, etc., to break down virtually anything in the soil.
I would be trying out a sample of that sawdust, Longsnowsm, and seeing if the worms survive long and well over, say, 6 months. Introduce some living organisms by adding some of the leaves, forest mulch, peat, manure, etc.
I'll be interested, like you, to hear other points of view.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Thursday, February 10, 2011 - 5:01 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

This sawdust question is very good and I hope some experts help out.

Two concerns:

1)If plywood sawdust is mixed in, could be a problem. I have read plywood is often made with toxic materials (i.e. the glue).

2) Somebody in the wood industry has told me that wood found in hardware stores is treated with numerous chemicals and he suggested not using such sawdust in the garden.

I err on the side of caution and avoid it until some experts chime in and tell me otherwise.

Author: Longsnowsm (Longsnowsm)
Sunday, February 06, 2011 - 12:36 am

After buying the Humanure Handbook, watching the videos, and doing some reading on the message board a question comes to mind regarding the amount of compost created with a family of 4. Will a compost system like this create enough compost to keep a garden happy without any additional inputs of manure or outside inputs into the system? My goal is to make my garden system as sustainable as possible, and my initial year of gardening appears to be requiring a lot of inputs of peat, manure, straw etc to get my garden beds ready. With all of the encouragement and great info on humanure I will be constructing a compost toilet very soon so that I can accelerate my current conventional compost system that I started over the winter. I still need to get a much larger set of compost bins built since my existing system is the small purchased type compost bins, but I will use what I have while expanding and growing this system. Thanks again for the great info and support. I can hardly wait begin the humanure composting process.

As a side note I don't have the lumber mills and that sort of thing near where I live. I did go over to Home Depot today looking at some building supplies for my toilet and talked to the guy who runs the saws for cutting wood. He explained he has 2 saws and that one of them is primarily going to be the one that cuts pressure treated wood, but that the other saw should have clean sawdust. He said if I brought in some garbage bags he would let me have the sawdust from that saw. Has anyone had any experience with sawdust from the local home improvement stores? At the moment it appears my options for cover material to start off will be peat moss or this sawdust. I am hoping that my leaves collection this growing season will yield a large enough collection that I can crush those up and use leaves as a cover material and minimize any external inputs into the system. Please let me know your thoughts on the cover materials mentioned and your experiences. Thanks.

Longsnowsm

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.